• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex in deep water

willowcat

I'm wondering if this is normal. I have a FL8slt, when fishing in 18'or more of water the jig or bait tends to move off to the side. My Vex will no longer pick up the bait. And when I turn up the gain I get so much disturbance I can't tell if there is fish,bait or anything. does anyone know if this is normal?

If your lure goes outside the cone angle of the transducer, your Vexilar will not pick it up.

Try dropping the lure slower, so it stays straighter in the cone.

I usually never have my gain higher than "2".

I have a similar problem with my FL-8 SLT, but I know the bait is directly under the transducer, I've tried with pretty heavy ball jigs, I swapped transducers with my brother and it does the same thing, and his works fine. Does this mean I have to send it in and have them look at it?

WillowCat

It sounds to me like your transducer is bad. My Dad had the same thing happen when fishing in 15' or less his FL8 worked fine. Any deeper than 15' he had to actually turn the gain up to 2 to find the bottom and you couldn't pick up the jig, because their was so much clutter. What we did was took the transducer to the Vexilar service center and they gave us a new one. The Vexilar was only about 2 months old. What I would do is find a friend with a known working FL8 Transducer, switch with them. I would bet that the transducer does the exact same thing on his FL8.

There isn't any current in the areas I've fished. It's just that when the jig gets down past 15' it gets lost in the clutter. Sometimes if you move it real fast you can see it. I turn up the gain beyond 2 and I get all kinds of clutter. The batteries I have are old but seem to take a charge fine so I can't see it being a battery. When I'm fishing on the shallow setting in under 15' it seems to work O.K. but I still get clutter just not as much and the jig doesn't disappear.