• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berkley Iron Silk Fishing Line

hip_hop_fisherman

I have been using iron silk for 2yrs and love it. It is alot tougher than regular mono with about the same memory. The only drawback is it gets really stiff in cold weather and likes to coil up and twist. I mainly use it for casting or jigging during the warmer months.

------------------
Jimmy

I agree, its great line. However, it really is difficult to work with when it is new especially in cold conditions. I would would work it in real well before using it for ice fishing! Tie on a big sinker and cast her out a few times to get the new feel out of it!

Dennis Steele showed me how to use it as a leader material for cats. Great abrasion resistance on rocks, etc. This winter I have been using it on all of my pike rigs as a leader and love it. Good stuff!!

Unless you enjoy headaches, keep it to casting equipment or for use as leader material. I does not do well on spinning gear at all. But tough.......and very little stretch.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

I used it.... hated it. Performed terribly in cold weather. Not nearly as sensitive as the old Solar XT. Going to be trying the new Sensation this spring....heard some good things about that so far.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

I love the stuff. It's tough as nails. You may have problems with it coiling up on you but just don't over-spool your reels and you should be fine.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Agree guys. Great line for certain situations. You're right about the coiling issue, initially. If you work through the early coiling thing, gradually stretching the line through normal use, it gets much, much better-- until eventually, it becomes one of the least coiling lines you'll ever use. Great line for working jigs & plastics through weeds-- super tough stuff.

-a friend called Toad