• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you could use only one!

Craigums

If you could only bring one rod/reel/line combo with you to go bass fishing what would it be and why?

My choice would be my 6'8'' Medium Action Allstar Rod with my Shimano Citica spooled with 14lb mono. The reason being I think it is sensitive enough to use for some finesse presentations such as worming and senko's yet has more backbone than the rest of my medium action rods so Im more than comfortable using it with Jig/Pig combos. The line I chose is a happy medium that could potentially suffice for most presentations.

For Bass fishing, I'd go with a 6'6" MH St. croix rod and a Quantum Energy 6.1 Baitcaster spooled with 15 LB. flourocarbon. This is of course all hypothetical. I can't remember the last time I hit the water with less than 10 rods. grin

For me it would be the following:

G Loomis DSR 820 with a Shimano Stradic with 5lb Sunline Metan Invisible Fluorocarbon.

Here is my why, if I could only pick one rod and reel I would want to catch fish. The drop shot just flat out catches fish! I can catch fish during all seasons of the year and I will shine during the toughest time of year (summer). Sure I would love a flipping stick or a spinnerbait rod but if I could only choose one, I want to catch fish throughout the year. I can also use this rod for a wacky jig from Zappu.

Craigums,

PERHAPS!!!! But if I could only pick one I want to insure that I catch fish. I can use this technique anywhere in the US and still have a fighting chance to win a tournament or just have a great day on the water. I might get bored with the technique for sure but I won't get tired of catching fish.

For me it's similier to Deitz.... 7' premium MH fast saction bait caster rod and reel with 10lb copoly... You can fish crank baits, jigs and soft plastics, drop shot, spinner baits, etc. with this set up...

You would be challenged in slop, brush, mill foil, pads etc...

But all around would be just fine....

Don't ya just love this sport!!!!

I would have to say a St Croix Tournament Bass 7' Medium/heavy action, Shimano Curado spooled with 15# Berkly 100% Flouro.

Can only think of a couple things I couldn't do effectively with it. Could do everything, but not as well as they should be done.

7' Medium St. Croix Avid Spinning Rod

Shimano Stradic 2500 with 10lb XL

This set up can make incredibly long casts and has pretty good sensitivity, but still has a good backbone for setting on a large bass!! You can throw tubes, senkos, flukes, light jigs, jig worms. In MN where most of the lakes are pretty clear, you can't beat this set up. If your in a area of dirty water, I'd go with a baitcasting set up. Then again, I would never carry only 1 rod!!!