• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canada Fly-In Resort?

Came across a HSOforum for Northern Wilderness Outfitters who offer flyin trips out of Fort Frances to about 15 lakes. Curious if anyone has gone through this outfit and has reviews or tips, or if there is any fly-in outfit that anyone would highly recommend, or on that note, encourage others to avoid. Thinking of shooting for a 2010 summer trip if the $$ is available. Thanks!

Northern Wilderness offers some good fishing lakes and runs a pretty good business. Be sure to checkout L&M Fly In a fellow Fishing Minnesota sponsor, they offer some great lakes and service as well. Just a note, if you have any members in your group that get air sick, pick an operator without the real long flights to avoid any air sickness issues.

I agree with superbee,

NWO has a good operation, but they have some very long flights and guys that get airsick will have a miserable flight.

Click on the LM logo on the top of the page they are a sponsor, they have some good lakes with shorter flights.

What species are you going to target?

Walleye mostly, I imagine, but big Northerns would be a bonus, as would smallies. For the most part, we just want to get out in the bush and fish for a week or so...:-)

Hello Ace, I couldnt help not notice your looking for a possible fly in for 2010. We would be happy to assist with any questions you may have if you are interested in our services that we provide?? You can reply on this thread or email directly if you wish. I do check our emails on a regular basis. 2010 is a long ways off, but its never too earily to start planning and getting excited for a trip. Planning is half the fun. Our fly in lakes are in the same area as Northern Wilderness. Do you have a time of year your thinking about? And a rough head count on number of people your shooting for?

Thanks for the info, L&M. I'm just getting started looking now, so I thought the forum would be a great place to check things out for ideas. I checked out your site a bit, the accomodations and reports look great. Like I said, I'm just getting started, but hopefully we'll have at least 6 guys...Maybe shoot for late July to early August.

Hello Ace, Check things out. You've got plenty of time this next year to do so. If you are considering L & M for your trip, as you've seen the group names on the fishing reports, if you wish to speak to any of the groups. Just let me know which ones and Ill gladly provide they're contact info so you can use them as a referance (s). During that time of year we do offer a summer special to consider. Stay 7 days for the price of 6. We also reward for booking earily. If your looking for the summer of 2010, you have the trip booked by the summer of 2009 for your trip in 2010. You'll get the 2009 rates locked in for your 2010 trip. Also have kids rates, or a "couples" special too... Just some idea's to save a few bucks if this is something you really want to do. NWO, they are a good fly in outfit that has lakes in the same exact area as our lakes. In a nut shell, we both offer alot of the same things. Its just a matter of what your exactly looking at for your trip and what sounds better to you.

We are actually kicking around the idea of a fall walleye / grouse trip up your way. I am heading to Shikag in mid Sept to close things up for the season and we will talk about it then. If duck hunting is as slow as last year, a trip to Manitou would be a nice break in October.

Hey Magnum,

Let me know we are going to be scouting and getting ready for our deer hunts around 15th of oct. I have room for grouse/fishing trips between Oct. 17 and 27th, then we will be full with whitetail hunters.

Email me or just call the office at 218-283-0990, if you get the machine just leave a message.

Thanks,

Now that I know the dates, I will talk to the boys. What are the rates for a cabin Friday & Saturday nights for 3 guys? We would probably leave Hibbing around noon Friday and try to shoot dinner on the way to the landing. We will have all our gear in my 18’ Alaskan so you wouldn’t have to meet us @ Esox. We would try to be in camp by “Happy Hour”. How much is a non-resident small game license this year? I haven’t bird hunted up there for about 10 years. We would have to pay for that gun permit in the Fort too wouldn’t we?

Sounds good Mike,

I just bought and Outpost cabin, right at the opening of the big lake on lower manitou.

Seems some guys want to stay at the camp and fish around the island, then go into james for the walleyes and some guys want to stay up on the big lake. Now we have something for everyone.

Thanks,