• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Many Cranks......?

riverrat56

I get by with only 3 rods and 4 reels for open water, A 6.5' M for jigging and casting cranks into weeds, a 7' ML for Rigging/Bobbers/Casting cranks to open areas, and an 8' M with a line counter for trolling and a Abu C4 for casting bigger baits....

Rods can multi-task much better than lures can....

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to do a survey on rods and count my crankbaits. I think I'm going to be very close to what you have. I'm only going to count the rods that I use. Not the older ones in the garage collecting dust. (like a old ugly stick).

I would guess probably 40-50 cranks now.

TO

This is the reason why I own so many due to the specie I fish.

Channel cats

Flatheads

sturgeon

Panfish- numerous ones for these pannies.

Eyes- I use a specific rod for each application

Northen

Bass

My eye and catfish rods are the bulk of my inventory. I realize that some rods can multi task but I have chosen to use a specific rod for each style.

Many of these I have build for each type style of fishing and many others were purchased. No, I probaly don't need quite this many but I do like to have a different rod for each specie and each style of fishing.

I probably don't need this many rods but they are here for the using. Sometimes when I take others out that have not fished say catfish, then I need 4-6 different cat rods along. Then again, maybe I have a fetish for fishing rods just like guns.

That would take way to much time to photo them all and the ice rods are packed away who knows where. The summer rods are all hanging on rod holders in the garage and some people when they come over believe I sell rods.

My wife asked if I needed all those rods and in return I asked if she needed all the shoes by the door and the closet. You know, a different pair of shoes for each dress or a different colored outfit.

My mom & wife were in my shop/garage. Mom said looking at the rods hanging in the shop "gee you sure have alot of rods & reels" My wife smiled & said "you know boys & their toys". I'm glad they didn't look in the rod lockers in the boat as there were 14 more there!!

Let's see leadcore, 3 ways and flatline trolling. That's 6 right there for basics.

Fireline Jigging (2 Rods), Mono Jigging (2 rods) short and long rods. Jig Dragging Rods (2 rods) Blade rods and Jig Pitching rods. Throw in a Bait caster for debuque rigging and that covers me. I don't always have these rods in the boat at all times but sometimes I do.

Not to mention rods for my buddies that don't fish rivers on regular basis. Some of these rods can serve double purpose but I have found it much easier to keep an assortment of jig weights on different rods because I am constantly changing depth and dealing with fast and slow currents.

One or two rods is just plain boring. i like the thrill of see how many tangles I have each time I open the rod locker. The invention of Rod Slicks has saved me many headaches.

mw

mw

As my crankbait addiction goes untreated, I've been searching for better ways to store them and yet have them readily available without a dozen plano type boxes. I got a B&B box recently and must say I like it for the number I can fit in the space. I just got 2 Special mate boxes in the mail today (5 and 8 inch) and think I'm gonna love em. Looks like I'm gonna have an way easier time seeing exactly what color / pattern I want and still be able to carry alot of cranks in a relatively small box. Thanks for the previous suggestions of both.

Goose I have 3 Special Mates and looked into B&B's but I didnt like the weight of them and I thought the hooks may get into the material. The Special Mates have been good for me. I have had one of them for about 6-8 years and it still in great shape. Simple design but I wish I would have thought of it.

I got the deep crank ones because some of my spoons dont fit in the shallower box.

1 thing I will recomend is take a piece of one of those foam noodle floats the kids use and cut it about 10" long and put it in the front of your box. Its a 2 purpose deal. 1 purpose is leader storage and the other is it keeps the dividers from flopping when in big waves or when it gets knocked over some how.

Thanks for the tip Northlander. I'm gonna start filling up my Special Mates tomorrow am. Got a delivery of Hornets yesterday. Gonna move my "Go To" baits into the Special Mates, and keep rest in B&B, at this point. Looks like I'll have my "Go To" spinners in the SMs too.

I'm having trouble finding Salmo Minnows. Anyone know where a good selection is available. They're awful expensive on the Salmo site. They few on-line stores with Salmo lures don't seem to have Minnows available. Thanks in advance. Goose.