• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Huge Walleye in Outdoor News

buddha

The pic is in outdoor news. The fish is long and slender. The length has to be a misprint or a fudge(estimate). A 27 in. 12 lb fish would be a football. This one looks like a big post spawn female. Nice fish but not 37 inches. (Unless no ruler on board). I remember the first huge 10 lb walleye I caught. Turned out to be 4.75 lbs on a certified scale.

I remember the first huge 10 lb walleye I caught. Turned out to be 4.75 lbs on a certified scale.

Scott, I haven't got a "10" walleye yet so I haven't had that disappointment yet. I had a good one last fall on Mille Lacs, but that story has been told a few times already.

Fish can really throw a person off just by looking at them. I caught a very fat 29" late last fall that I was sure was a 30"+ when I was getting ready to net it. Bugger still went 10 1/2 lbs on my digtal scale. It had unreal girth and was an absolute beast! Maybe it'll go 30" this fall when I catch her again. laugh

I've seen a pic of the fish and to be honest, I'd say it's about the same size as lambjm's but maybe not quite as thick.

Either typos or just another Mille Lacs fish story......one of many we've all heard over the years come from that lake. smirk

Use her pinky finger as a measurement scale. It's clearly visible. Use the tip of a screwdriver and mark the length of it, then go from nose to tail of the fish. My pinky is approximately 3". Count how many times you moved the driver and multiply by 3. I came up with 36".

TB2

Here is a June caught 39" Northern from Canada

DSCN0106.jpg

And here is a 30" March caught walleye from LOTW

100_1111.jpg

Best guages I can give. I have not seen the picture, but on both we show fingers so one can kind of guage by that, and we are both 6' tall guys.

I measured acrossed my 4 fingers, in a similar fasion to the 4 of hers in the picture, I got 3 inches acrossed my fingers, doing some simple comparisons, I got 10-10.5 of her handwidths over the length of the fish, so I'd give it 33" max.

I caught a fat 33" walleye this spring, and she weighed about 13 lbs! So their numbers are off some how!
State record 35.8 inches at 17.8 Pounds. 2 inches and girth makes a big differance. Point being, As Ive seen the walleye hit a length then get fatter in girth after hitting a set mark in length.

This fish is also in the classic long arm pose.....and she isn't quite as broad in the shoulders as alot of us here would be for a similar picture, all increasing the look of the fish.

There was an article in this weeks ODN about this fish, they said it was not a misspring on their part, that was the info that came with the fish picture.