• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North Fork Shoshone River in Wyoming

gspman

Anyone have experience fishing the North Fork of the Shoshone river? I'll be taking the family to Yellowstone and I'll have some time to trout fish here. I'll be bringing both flyfishing and spinning gear. Any advice on wet/dry flies or lures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

gspman

You might want to call one of the local fly shops. I stopped by a place called the Humble Fly in Cody last week and chatted with the fellow behind the counter for a bit. He had some pretty interesting comments and suggestions for catching trout. While they do guided trips also, he was very blunt in telling me I wouldn't have to book a trip to get advice on flies and technique.

The rivers in Yellowstone Park were full of fishermen. Jr. and I spent a little time with our spinning gear, but while we had a few lookers, couldn't get any takers. According to the guy at the fly shop, fish outside the park for best results.

don't know if you've already left or not, but definitely give that river a shot...... fish above the reservoir-- you'll see why once you drive up from cody...... grab some copper johns in sizes 14-18..... red worked great..... black are nice as well..... just fish under an indicator and you're set...... nice riffles, runs, pocket water, etc...... check with the fly shops in cody for hatch advice, but i'm sure you'd be fine in that fast water with some tan elk hair caddis and some parachute adams, and this time of year there will be hoppers flying around-- 12-16 on the caddis and adams, 8-10 with the hoppers....... it's less crowded than the easily accessible park water and bigger fish..... just be nice and put lots of 'em back so i can catch 'em next time i'm out there......

Mac,

Thanks for the advice. Leaving tonight. Definitely bringing some terrestials. Have some Adams & Caddis. Will have to pick up some Copper Johns when we get out there. As far as numbers, I've not been fly fishing for several years so just being out there with a fly rod will be a treat. If I catch something it'll be even better. Anything I catch will likely go back in the water.

gspman