• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The sweet and simple chicory

I was heading out the Fernberg late this morning on my way to a photo booking and noticed a big patch of cornflower blue flowers along a new roadside. Chicory, I thought, has to be chicory. Now, chicory is not very common at all up here in the northern reaches of the Minnesota Arrowhead, and I hadn't photographed it before.

I made a mental note and went on my way. Shortly after the booking was complete it started to rain, but I decided to hit the chicory palace on the way home, anyway. Flowers photograph beautifully in the rain.

So here's the chicory, once a valued coffee substitute (chicory root used to supplement the dwindling coffee supply of settlers), and now considered simply a roadside weed in places south and west of here.

All with the Canon 30D and Canon 100 f2.8 macro, handheld at iso400

Budding

1/160 at f6.3

2757654209_d03bae4755_o.jpg

Two on the stalk

1/250 at f6.3

2758490690_81f904d5b6_o.jpg

Ruffles have ridges

1/100 at f8

2757655661_92c925e5bd_o.jpg

Thanks, everybody. Stu, when I was out in western Minnesota in early July they were blooming. Look for them next summer in roadside ditches.

These are the only ones I've ever seen up here by Ely, and things bloom later here than on the prairie in general, with all the flowers being about two weeks later even than that because of the late spring.