• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with my freezing portable

Dynasty

I just got a Clam 2000 this year and the past few trips the sliding poles have frosted up and made it a real pain to take down. I have a Paulin 3 setting heater and it gets plenty warm but doesnt keep the poles from frosting up. I was wondering if anyone else expierenced this and what they did about it, or do I just have to tuff it out?

I'm in the same boat as you are with the Clams. They didn't think that one over too well when they designed these. It works perfect if it's in the 20's, but when that temp. drops down around or below zero it's a little tricky. That's the last thing you want to do at the end of the night after fishing when it's really cold is try to mess with these poles. What I do is keep all of the poles very well lubed up with WD-40 or anything else you can think of. Then wipe the water/condensation/ice off at the end of each trip. If they're still sticking on you, I bring along a 2 foot 2x4 to give it a little tap to get them started. Keep the house as warm as possible to keep them thawed out. It's the worst for me if I go out two really cold days in a row. Day 1 isn't too bad, it's just after it sits in the back of my truck for a day and freezes up.
I'll be buying an Otter when I have an extra $500 laying around to fix that problem. Until then, the Clam will do for my portable.
Good Luck!