• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frost in perms.

swampman

Anybody else having trouble with frost in there perms in this cold weather? this is the first year that i have had any trouble but it hasnt been this cold in a few years. I did'nt put a vapor barrier in the house when i built it maybe a mistake but i did'nt want it to tight,i also have a ventless heater which proably does'nt help.

Do you have any fans in your house? We've placed a couple small 12V fans on the ceiling of our house and we don't have a frost problem once the house gets up to temperature. Depending on the size of your house, you might need more than a couple of them. The ones we use we picked up at a local surplus store. I think they are the fans from computers. They are small and, most importantly, quiet.

House is 6.5 by 12, I dont have any problems once the house gets warm, just after it sits overnite and i go out the next day and have frost on the inside walls.i have thought about mounting a fan though just to push down some of the warm air above while i am fishing.

its your heater. the colder it is outside the more water your ventless heater is going to produce inside the house which will lead to mold and rotting wood someday.

HARDWATER is correct. Cover your holes when you leave your house. When you take your hole covers off look at the bottom, I'll bet it will be covered with frost. Better on the bottom of your hole covers than on the inside of your house!

Let us know if that works!
Jeff S

your still not getting it. the frost on the inside of your house forms from the moisture that was left behind when you left the house. you can cover the holes all you want but your still going to get frost build up with a ventless heater unless you can keep the inside temp above 32. with the temps we have had the last few nights, forget it.

Propane burns in oxygen to produce water vapor and carbon dioxide (and if not enough oxygen, the carbon dioxide shifts to carbon monoxide, hope you didn't need those red blood cells).

So ja got you and the buds sweating and breathing water into the shack, the heater expelling vast quanitities of water...

As soon as you have 32 degrees F in there, you get frost at that location! Unless you plan to heat that shack 24x7 in this cold, you need to expel the water vapor if frost bugs ja.

Put an exhaust fan in the wall and open a vent on the other side of the shack (maybe crack yer door open).

Whitetip,
I have had a perm. house that I have put on Mille Lacs for 25 years, I have always had a vented heater and I always had screened vent holes to allow replacemant air into the house. Covering the fishing holes helps but it doesn't totally eliminate the problem anytime you have moisture in the air and you shut off the heat once the temp. gets below freezing the moisture is going to collect and form frost. The places I notice it most was on anything metal especially like coat hangers mounted on the walls,

Ole

It sounds like your house is too air tight. Try to do some kind of air exchange, with vents or an open window. The vents should be to the top of the house walls or roof and at oppisiste ends.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

thanks for the replies guys. I do have to crank out windows that i always crack for some ventilation. my dad has a vented heater in his house and he said he had frost in his in this cold weather to. I proably will go to a vented heater down the line though, it would be nice to have one with a thermostat to regulate the heat better. thanks!

I to have a vented heater and mine always frost up that isn't the only problem. I myself like the ventless heaters much better no wind blowing out the pilot light with gusts. Have it vented well and you will be fine as far a CO2 is concerned. Like mentioned early humans give off moisture with breath etc. so the majority of that frost is coming directly off of us. I have done both covered holes and uncovered and it is better uncovered but it will still frost.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

like i said before cover the holes up and that will end the problems..the frost comes from the water in your holes!!!..
just cover the holes and that will end you problems.......if you don't beleve me try it.

Pro Fishing Guide
Frost comes from the holes because they don't freeze right away. After you shut your heat off if you don't cover the holes they will start to frost with the temp change. Frost doesn't come from frozen holes it is from them before they freeze over.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]