• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My hole keeps freezing up!!!

Ice Honkey

Does anyone have any advise on how to keep my hole from freezing up.... With this weather, it isn't taking very long before I have an inch of ice in my tip up hole. It makes ist real hard to set the hook on those light biters

1. Put some lighted charcoal in a coffee can, 2. chip a little hole next to your tip up hole, 3. chip a little "running stream" to your tip up hole. The water will melt from the heat of the coffee can and run into your tip up hole keeping it ice-free. Hope this helps. (You'll see this alot at ice fishing tourney's, I haven't used it in this -20 degree weather though)

Regarding the tip up holes, use a Frabil Thermal tip up (round plastic with about an inch of insulation. I have fished in some of the nastiest windiest weather at -20, and the hole was almost completely open when I took the tip up out... For the ice house holes, do some searching, I know this issue was discussed about a month back, and people had a lot of good suggestions.

Stone Legacy makes a hole cover that is great for tip-up fishing and keeping your hole freeze-free. Check out the FreezeBee at http://www.stonelegacy.com/icefish.html.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

There was a thread on this subject that I saved. Of particular interest to me was the modifications that Lucky Eddy recommended. It seems like the warm running water would keep the hole open in the most adverse conditions.

Plus, it's just a cool modification.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/004078.html

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

[This message has been edited by buzbunni (edited 01-30-2004).]

I use a piece of 1 inch thick styrofoam scrap cut 12 inch diameter circle with thin slot to slip tipup shaft through. Works better than Frabill thermal - did them head to head. Pile snow over the edges, works even better.