• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mathews Genesis

EXTREME

A question for you guys. My oldest boy turns 6 in a couple of weeks. I was thinking about getting him a Genesis bow, but am not sure what everybody thinks about them. He pulled one back at the bow shop the other day with no problem, but it is a big step up from his little plain wheel bow. The question is: is he too young for this bow?? How do they shoot for small kids? I shot one a few years ago and thought it was pretty neat. The boy loves to shoot and I can't shoot without him. What do you guys think?? Thanks

I have taught quite a few youth archery classes. These Genisis bows are great for the kids as they fit just about all. I say, if you can afford it. Why not! These Genisis bows are even used in the High School programs.

just dont push him too hard. Let him continue to enjoy it!

That is what I want to hear. Deitz; I am not too concerned about pushing him...I am more concerned about him pushing me! smile. I usually only take about a dozen shots and let him do the rest. He is interested as long as I am watching him. They are an expensive little bow, but I figure he can shoot it until he is 11 or so. Then he can move up to something that is more lethal...if he chooses to.

His bday isn't until the 23rd. I will try to remember to take some pics if I get him the bow. I am going to see if Itasca Archery Supply can order me one. All the one's that he has are right handed and he took after me and is left handed.

I have taught quite a few youth archery classes. These Genisis bows are great for the kids as they fit just about all. I say, if you can afford it. Why not! These Genisis bows are even used in the High School programs.

just dont push him too hard. Let him continue to enjoy it!

In your experience with the kids, DD, how old(big) would you recommend putting a Genisis in their hands? I know it's probably a specific kid-to-kid answer, but my boy handles his Bear Jr. pretty doggone good. He's just about 4 1/2 yrs old, is 46 1/2" tall, and weighs around 55-60lbs. I'm guessing I'll wait til next spring, but he saw one at the store and it's going to be hard for him to wait! Also, do you shoot these strictly with fingers?

Thanks.

Steve

Fish- As a school teacher I can tell you.. it really depends on the kid.. I teach 1st-3rd grade and you wouldnt believe the size difference in children. I would say, as long as the child can pull the bow back comfortable, it should be fine. I will say that for the most part in the youth clases I have had, about 5 years of age seems to be the bottom limit.

I have seen many shoot the Genisis with a release aid. Many kids stop shooting because it hurts their fingers(finger pinch), a release aid can help that a ton. You just have to be sure while coaching them that they dont punch the trigger and start bad habbits which may be hard to break later in life.