• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Close or too close, that is the question?

Lunker

I personally won't set up within 20 yds of another person, and I use a hand auger and am quiet anyways. Even on little lakes I find that getting away from the crowd and fishing the "edge" is usually way better fishing anyways.

That is a good topic jlm and I don't know the law. But I see where you are going with this. I only have a portable and I get on the ice with it before the perms do. I fish the "holes" then the perms move in on "my" spot and over run it perms making it virtually impossible for me to fish it and say within the 10 ft law. So can I mark my spot with a 2 X 4 in the ice to bring my portable to when I want to fish my usual early season spot. I usually will check it out see if there is any where to fish, if not try another spot on the lake, but sometimes woulnd't mind tryin the "holes" again that I was able to fish early season.

------------------
I like Tail

I have an interesting story relating to this topic, just happened two weeks ago. There was a hot crappie bite going on in the lake that I fish. We put the permanant out 100 yards from the crowds. My buddy asked why are we putting it here? I replied eventually those fish are gonna work this way because of the fishing pressure. Well they did and I was the only one around we caught some nice fish. I hate the crowds, but within a week they were all right next to me. I fish mostly with my 2 sons, ages 5,8. On a tuesday afternoon after work we all went out. While driving to the house it looked like there was people fishing real close to my house. Well, real close was what I found out. 3 guys fishing within 10 ft of it. I pull up and all 3 put their head down, almost to say we are sorry to be fishing this close. I pulled right next to the house(my way of showing them they were to close) and got out of the truck. My youngest son got out of back seat and took 1 step and fell into an open hole. I ran over and pulled him out. 1 foot all the way to his hip. I got him out and started to "relay" my message to the 3 people. Took him home to change and came back and these 3 yahoo's were still there. I had to back my truck in at an agle to hook up to my house to move it. I got out and the guy was real sorry that my kid fell in the hole , but he said they didn't drill them. Lets see, I fished the day before, no holes. That day it was about 0, so any hole would have ice on it within an hour. While cranking up the house, the guy has the balls to ask me if the house was for sale and if I was moving. I guess it all comes down to courtesy of who was there first. But to this day, I still wonder what if that would have been a 10 inch hole!

This is in response to mjgrose's post. I would have been hot to say the least about this. So hot that before I went to move my house, I would have dropped a few cherry bombs down the holes assisted with some weight. That would have ruined the fishing for them for sure! OK, so it isn't the best way to deal with it. But I know I would have gotten some gratification from it.

I am a hole hopping freak and this creates some problems because so many ice fisherman are like sheep. I fish outside on the ice and about 85 percent of the time and people think that they can come up and fish right next to you. Last weekend I had a guy following me as I moved around in order to stay on top of the fish. He had the nerve to fish in a hole I drilled no more than 3 feet from me. He finally got drift when I bluntly told him that the reason I was moving so much was to get away from him. I try to stay away from the crowd, however, the crowd and their permanent houses alway seem to crowd me out of the spots my brother and myself spend hours finding. A couple of weeks ago we were packing up to leave our spot and a guy and his permanent zoomed up to our spot and the guy jumped out and saw that there were fish around. Needless to say this guy and a few of his other buddies now think that they are the owners of this spot. Please give me some space!!! This weekend I'm going to a little lake in order to get away from the sheep.

Last year I had my permanent on a mile long drop off with nobody within 1/4 mile of me. I went out to my shack one early afternoon and there were two guys using it for a wind break (25+ MPH winds). They were actually leaning on my shack, so there holes weren't 3' away. I kindly asked them to move and they said it was a free lake. Within a minute or two I was pulling the shack further down the drop off while watching several pieces of their gear getting blown down the lake. Had they been decent about it I probably would have let them warm up in my shack.

------------------
Wables

The law states that shelters cannot be closer than 10 feet, it doesn't address someone standing on the ice. I guess they can drill at an angle into your existing hole if they want (legally, that is). Unfortunately, common courtesy and sportsmanship can't be legislated. Too many people just don't care, you can see the evidence daily.

As I was reading this I thought it was sounding like the guys with the hard side houses were causing all the trouble. I am glad to see that there are portable people doing the same thing. I have both kinds of houses, and if you stay to long both kinds move in.

I thought the rule was 50 feet. There's plenty of lakes and plenty of spots. How come a guy can't set uo 50 feet from another guy? I had a guy put his portable on one of my holes earlier this year. Is it not common sense to give a guy some space? FYI Almost nobody ice fishes in Wisconsin.

We have all complained about some one-who-thinks-I-am-silly coming near our fish house during prime time and drilling all kinds of holes and making noise to beat the band. I hate it, you hate it, we all hate it. Or, you come out to your perm. house and some yahoo is fishing 10 feet from your front door. We all hate that one to. I posted this because I want to play the devils advocate here a little. In the St. Cloud area, the lakes can be very crowded, particularly in the good spots. So lets say that there are 20 perm. houses in the best hole in the lake. These 20 houses pretty much make this hole impossible to fish because there is no room for anyone else to set up without violating the 10 foot law. Now lets say that nobody is in these houses but they remain on the lake to "claim" their spot. Does a guy have a right to set up as close as he wants to the perm. house since it is unoccupied? If he does set up real close, would the guy who owns the perm. house be intruding on the space of the guy who set up close to his house since he was not in the house? If the 10 foot law was to be followed, why could I not go out and build 20 houses and put them out to block off a certain area of the lake (I know that is stupid, its just to make a point)? MN lakes are public so why can a guy put out his perm. house and lay claim to that spot when they are not using the house? I guess this might be similar to the tree stand on public land debate. What are your thoughts? Before anyone goes off the deep end, this is just for discussion, nothing else.

I use a portable house and get so freakin nervous when I go and set-up that I try and not be around anybody out of fear of a confrontation. It also chaps my hide to set up and than have the owners of perm. houses that were where I wanted to fish to move next to me. I ahve had houses close enough after I set up thatI swear I could smell'em. Compromise is the only solution and if nothing else take some fish from previous trip and throw on onto ice. Preferable eelpout or mooneyes, let'em think about those for awhile and if they really want to be there.

Last time we were up on Winnie we pulled the house out after dark on a Friday night. Went out where no one was (but we had wanted to try there). Slow all through the night and next morning so we decided to cruise around the lake and try to agree on a new spot to try. We looked at a bunch of areas (were gone about two hours) and decided to move. When we got back to our house, two portables had set up almost right in front of the house. We had to physically move the house for us to be able to hook up to the truck. They didn't even offer to help.

Now that's too close.

Vickie

I agree with the first statement from simcox. I have found myself in this situation:

I usually look at lake maps for some type of hole or structure before going out. I get to the spot I had decided on at home, and lo and behold, there's a permanent house or two there. I try to stay 40 or 50 feet away and use a hand auger, but the permanent guy shows up and shoots me a dirty look like I went there just because I saw his house--as if his permanent house sitting there entitles him to an entire piece of structure (sometimes the only structure on the lake) for the entire winter.

I try to have a backup spot planned out to avoid this, but it would be great if more ice fishermen were civil. Granted I get upset at people that pull up nearby, leave their big deisel running and punch a million holes right as the evening bite starts, but give us quiet guys a break.

Just curious as to why people think using a hand auger is better when fishing next to people? It is a proven fact that drilling a hole with a hand auger is a lot louder under ice than a power auger. Just becuase it cant be heard above ice doesnt mean it is quieter below.

sounds like some people just dont want to get along with there fellow sportsmen and women most people i meet on the lake stop by to talk and express were the fishing is best when they are biting there is plenty of fish to go around walleye2 just my nickle worth

UMD fisherman, I assume that is in response to my post, as I said, I don't fish within at least 20 yds of anybody, and whether or not hand augers are quiter or louder, I was just trying to point out that I always attempt to be as quiet as possible while fishing, ice or open.

in fishermen did a study and they stated hand augers were quieter than chisles and i thought power augers too, how is it possible for a power auger to be quieter than a hand auger, my strikemaster hand auger has basically the same blades and pitch as my power auger(lazer mag), could you please tell me where you found this info? thanks

I didnt mean anything in a bad way by saying that hand augers are noisier than a power auger. I got the information from a fishing show I watched a few years back where they did a study with underwater equiptment and at that time it showed hand augers to be a lot louder under ice. Things might have changed since then but I think the main reason for the difference in noise levels was the speed at which the hole was being drilled.

I have fished with a portable in the past, And I wsa never as rude and some of tthe people you have dealt with. Im out on medicine lake and there are @ss holes all over me right now. Im on the north side of the big "village" and when I moved my house to that spot, there was nobody within 50 yards. Now there are idiots 15 feet awway from my house. I cant even take a [PoorWordUsage] without the ******* staring at my junk. If your one of these people that dont know how to fish and fishes wherever a permanent is, I fricking am sick of you!

Mike--

Regarding the differnce in auger noise, I saw the same show. It was Tony Dean, and he sent a diver down with sound equipment to check decibel levels. The hand and power augers made the same amount of noise under the ice, but the power auger was of much shorter duration. The engine noise did not transmit itself to the water. The chisel, however, was very loud and the diver said it was like slapping him on the ears every time it hit the ice. The show also showed Tony Dean dropping his chisel through the ice.

Close? You want Close? - Try fishing any of the Madison, Wisconsin lakes, Mendota, Monona, Waubesa, etc. The common practice, summer or winter is to find the crowds. In Summer it is impossible to find a good spot and them expect to cast from your boat 15 minutes later. You have to have a wire cutter in hand when you pull the anchor rope to cut off all the hooks from anglers parked right over it. In Winter, "anglers" who don't even bring out an auger, crowd into your holes - within 5 feet - - - - I've even had one kick my auger so he could fish in one of my holes. Once I invited a guy to fish right in my hole - he might as well - he was that close. My sympathies - I've been there.