• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How often do you switch lures?

cjac

So, on a given day, how many times will you switch lures??? I've fished with people that end up with a pile of baits, and had people tell me they've never seen anyone stick to one lure as much as I do at times.

I'll have a few rods ready and switch off between presentations (buck/topwater/dawg/glider), but I'll switch it up if there's nothing doing a bit. If I'm moving fish, I stay pretty committed.

What do you all do?

Yeah that's me, the Constant Changer - it works well though the guy I fish with the most has no problem using the same thing all day long.

Strange thing is he holds tight to the same bait even after he's seen me bring a fish to the boat or even catch one. But the next time we go out he's fishing what I was working for me the last time out. haha

My feeling is that if you're covering the right water, and they are in a feeding mood they're gonna bite regardless of the lure. So if I switch its because I want to cover some different water or I just really don't have confidence in the lure

My brother switches sometimes with every friggin cast! ha! But he did catch two skis on Rainy last week, in 5 minutes, and he has boated 9 so far this year, and I have none.... so maybe I should start changing more often... or going more often... or casting more... ha!

Its all about the confidence for me... along with the desire to catch a fish on a specific lure...

This year, I aim to catch a fish on a topwater and plastics... and the DB-10's will always be an confidence go-to bait for me... I'll open with a DB-10... then the desire kicks in and I'll switch to plastics or topwaters...

I keep 4 rigs set up , DCG/ DC-10, Hellhound, Dawg and a Wades or DDD on the last. Some days if the first 4-5 arent moving fish I'll start going through the box. Some days all I'll throw is the hound other days I'll have half my box wet. Seems this season alot of baits have gotten wet for 3 small fish boated.

If things aren't moving I switch up, if my shoulder gets too sore I switch up, if I'm moving things and they aren't biting then I switch size and/or color. Of course that's irrespective of the normal changes because the water profile changes (i.e. from inner weed line to shallows, to drop off, to deep weed edge, etc.). My wife and I also make sure we're throwing something different and if my son decides to go for it he's on something different. Of course my daughter pulls out the black/silver shad rap and catches things while we're throwing bricks.

I'm with goblue. Within a given presentation, at the right time and place, it almost doesn't seem to matter. But to me the process is: seemingly active/low light - topwater. When they don't go on top, or with higher light, go down a bit with a bucktail. When they don't go on that go deeper with plastics, spinner bait or cranks. When less active/lighter - go lower and slower or more eratic (glide/jerk). That's what I try anyway, but what the heck do I know, they're kickin my but so far...

Hiya -

I'm really schizo about this. There are times, when I'm confident in what I'm doing, where I'll leave the same bait on for a week. When fishing's lousy, I force myself to pick something versatile (usually a spinnerbait) and leave it on.

A lot of days though, I start out the day with several lure changes in a short period of time until I settle into something that gives me a vibe. Then I'll stick with it until conditions change or I decide to do something where the lure isn't appropriate.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Interesting I though yesterday as 3 of us fished. 2 of us has logged 100's of hours this seaon the 3rd his first trip of the year. Hes in SD in school so didnt have his gear along so used my rod and reel and my buddies baits. He threw a Wades Wobbler ( hooked a mid 40's boatside but lost her at 3pm) Later he switched over to a DCG and scored a 37.5 in the net. My buddy and I had a dozen or so baits laying on the floor and caught and saw nothing.

I've gotta say the only thing I've really had luck on is Suicks and Spinnerbaits. I really think the confidence factor plays a huge part in bait selection. I'm more prone to leave on a bait that I have good history with vs. say a jointed believe with a plastic tail that thing just doesn't work for me. Also I have never had any luck on a bucktail - could be cause I fish pressured lakes and the fish are too used to them? Anyhow if I'm not doing anything with a Suick I will start switching things up and maybe go 15 to 20 minutes and try the next...it honestly is tough for me not to switch.

I switch quite a bit. That's one of the funnest parts of muskie fishing for me, having these big crazy baits and using them. With other species I tend to have my regular baits and colors, but with muskies I have only a couple of "favorite" baits so I usually end up throwing lots of things at them.

I agree with the 4-5 rod strategy like fellow Iowan Esox Mag. That way, if I see something on the sonar or side imaging, I am ready to go. If I see a nice deep weed edge, in goes the Dawg. If I see weeds up only a few feet off the bottom, in goes a grandma or jake. If the fish are lethargic and just following, the Suick is ready.

One lure I overlook too much is the big spinnerbaits. We all have done so well on the big #10 and now #13 blades in bucktails that the grinders and other short arm spinnerbaits don't get out as much as they should. Really could condense four boxes of baits down to one "go to" pack.

I'm switching pretty often until I find a bait with confidence. I'll end up with baits all over the boat by the time I get off the water.

I don't mean to change the topic of the thread, but how do you guys work Suicks? I've had one for quite a while, and pitch it only occasionally because it seems like it's just pulling in a piece of wood with not real action to them. Even made adjustments to the metal tail fin in order to get it to swoon a bit jerk retrieved. I don't throw it often just because I don't have any confidence in them.

i voted constantly but that's not always true. mostly i fish the croix and different spots require different methods using the same basic type bait. mabe i'll throw a 1 ounch spinnerbait against a wall with colorado's in an eddy type area then switch to willows around weeds for better weed resistance. or pop on a 1 1/2 to 3 ounce spinnerbait fishing faster current areas with structure with willows to get deeper easier and stay deep on retrieve or colorados for a slower sink in that current and the ability to just hold it staedy above the bottom without a retrieve. then put on a combo for over and around a point,island, bar, underwater island, hump or whatever. it's all dictated by the presentation best suited to the areas. but sometimes i like to just concentrate on one type of structure because i believe they are more likely there than anywhere and almost never change for sometimes weeks other than new for destroyed.

somebody asked about the suick. it's made to emulate a wounded fish in trouble. you've no doubt seen a wounded fish before. thats the look you want so adjust the tail untill you see that type action. it's one of the first original dive and rise baits ever made. that means jerked down.............. long pause untill it surfaces, repeat. deadly. theres more i'm sure others can help with too.

I try not to change lures as much as I do, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way!! cry Really I just go with my guy feeling, what the weather is like, wind or no wind, and what kind of reports I have gotten on the particular body of water. I do have a core group of baits that are my confidence baits, and they get the majority of the water time.

I'm kinda the opposite of most musky fisherman. I have a small handful of different varieties of baits with just a few colors(3 or 4). I will generally leave a bait on for about two hours before changing. With ski's I think it takes that long to say you gave the bait a fair shake.