• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Extended Warranty

Mnfisher

My 6 month factory warranty runs out 8/22/08 on my Polaris 500 (carburetor). I have plowed (some) snow and will use it to plow this winter (hopefully not too much!). I go through a little mud and had to winch myself out a couple of times this summer, other wise just use it for light work and fairly easy trail riding. I only have 150 miles on it and it has given me no problems to date. Should I purchase an extended warranty? I think the cheapest is a two year for $560. I have heard that as a rule, extended warranty's don't pay. Any opinions?

I wouldn't waste my money on the warranty. Put the money in savings for the "just in case" moments. We have never used our warranties on 6 machines so we no longer buy them.

Use your judgment, you will always have someone that chooses to brand bash every chance he gets. I can only assume this person doesn't actually ride otherwise he would know just like everybody else that EVERY brand has problems. But instead he takes the cheap shots and bashes Polaris almost daily on FM.

Polaris had some problems years ago. My 05 has been trouble free. Maybe the people that choose to bash them or any other brand have never been able to own a new one and only have experience with old junk. All brands have their problems just like Chevys and Fords and yes even Toyotas. I wouldn't spend the money on the extended warranty either.

Call it brand bashing if you want, but most problems on the forums are popo problems. I offered my opinion, as I got an extended 3 yr warranty on my Suzuki, but I never got to use it. Like I said, if someone actually USES their wheeler, not "just on the lawn and trails" an extended warranty may come in handy.

While it may be true that many posts relating to ATV issues are tied to the Polaris name, they have made some good improvements over the years as have the other manufacturers.

I've owned many different brands myself and all have had their flaws. There is no perfect machine, and this is coming from a current Honda owner.

In the end, if you plan on riding the machine aggressively, the extended warranty might be worth buying. Easy trail riding and yard work? Save your money and accessorize your ATV.

IMO, I feel that Polaris ATV's are ridden harder and abused more than any other machine. Why? People want to buy American made or Minnesota made ATV's and ride the snot out of them. You see the rest of the story in the advertisements (bragging rights).

No two people will see the ATV wars the same way as the next person. So keep in mind the best ATV out there is the one you own.

I would suggest against an extended warranty unless you have a very good dealer. They seem to avoid covering on extended warranty at any cost. For example, if you don't have dates and receipts of maintenance done by the dealer (who does??!!) it is thrown out.

As for Popo.....they have been the most innovative company in ATV's.....(big period!!) If you think about it, every company has copied Polaris in one way or another. Polaris' future in atv's looks very good in my eyes. They have pumped alot of money and knowledge into the atv's. Look at the new SP XP's. They have everything on them besides a rearview mirror for crying out loud. It just sucks that anything top notch now is $10K, but what isn't expensive anymore.???....

I would suggest against an extended warranty unless you have a very good dealer. They seem to avoid covering on extended warranty at any cost. For example, if you don't have dates and

receipts of maintenance done by the dealer (who does??!)

In the end, if you plan on riding the machine aggressively, the extended warranty might be worth buying. Easy trail riding and yard work? Save your money and accessorize your ATV.

Both of these points are IMO good advice. I've heard that some dealers do not stand behind extended warranty's. If they choose to say that you've abused your machine you will be S.O.L. on the extended warranty. The new Sportsman XP's sound like a great ideal build on polaris's part, very innovative. Time will tell if there new designs are good or not.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I think I will take the gamble that I usually do as far as extended warranties and not get one. I like the Polaris and it seems to be a solid machine. I have a 2001 300 cc Suzuki and it is a rugged little machine and good starter. My wife has a 2003 machine and we have had some problems (stator) which was expensive and just out of warranty but the dealer gave me a breatk. It also is a cold starting machine, takes awhile for it to warm up good but handles well once it takes off!! Thanks again. This is a great forum. I hope to take part in the Record ATV parade next year in Silver Bay.