• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

612'ers

fishtank

I don't want to start a controversy, but I've heard this several times. People that live north of the metro area have a nickname for all metro fishermen/vacationers that venture up. They call them the 612'ers. Is this a true statement? And, is this a negative statment? I've heard different sides and would like to get people's feelings.
I've heard the positive side because they help some of the northern economies.
But, I've also heard the negative side because 'some' northern Minnesota residents feel "Metro" area fishermen have no respect.
I for one, as a metro resident, slowly moving my way north-bound, have the up-most respect for "northerners" and can see their arguement, but feel it's a select few who might ruin it for others.
Again, I don't want to start a war, but would like to hear true feelings. It's Minnesota Folks - land of 10,000 lakes. Let's share our "Minnesota Nice" thoughts.

Yes, 612-ers is generally a negative term used by outstaters to look down on Twin Cities people.

But not all outstaters feel that way about people from the city, because, after all, we're all far more the same than we are different.

There are plenty of Twin Cities residents who look upon outstaters as simple rubes, too.

In the end, who cares? Life is short, and there's too much fishing to do to worry about this dump. You wanna whine or you wanna fish?

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

612 is the main area code here in the cities. I was a 612'er but now a 952'er, I do not take offense. However, i do own northern land, and I assure you I have the utmost respect for everyhting I do up there. I know that it must make them feel angry when a bunch of city yahoos race up there, party, and are disrespectful, but many of them are hypocrites. If you go out in the woods you will see garbage bags, old cars, stoves, dishwashers, etc abandoned out there. These are mostly locals doing this as they are the ones who have that dump up there. Also, their economy depends on people up vacationing, fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, etc. There are abusive people on both ends, there are just more of the city folks around. I have landowners and business owners up there who are friends with us, and everyone knows we're fine. As with anyhting else its the idiots who make us all look bad.

I would agree that there are some bad eggs in the cities. But there are a lot of people that live in the cities that their whole family is from up north. I have never lived around the LOW but they consider me local. My family were commerical fisherman on it back in the day. I've seen some pretty schabby lookin houses in a lot of small towns in this state. If we're so bad, why can't you clean up your yard. I hate when people move away from the city and into the country that's it's okay to leave their dead cars and garbage to rot out in their yards. Its disgusting. If I bring it into the woods or out on the lake it comes back with me to the garbage. no exceptions! How's it go Steve, worry less, fish more. RIGHT ON DUDE! grin.gif

As someone who grew up on Da Range and have lived in the Cities for the past 15 years, I take zero offence.

I make my living in the Cities, but my heart will always be up north. Guess that makes me both a 612er & a Rube. grin.gif

We've also been known to call 'em "citiots", but that term is most often used when we make fun of the traffic jams.

But as was said earlier, idiocy knows no area code. There are good and bad everywhere.

Yes the name calling never ends. All it takes is a few to ruin it for the rest. I have heard them too. But keep moving around, and you'll here the rest like 'FIBS' when you live in WI. There are names for the ND's too, right Steve? wink.gif

Lets go fishing instead! grin.gif

------------------
End of the Line Charters
Lake Superior
1-888-U-HOOK-EM
www.fishontheline.com

I'm a 952er I guess. Born and raised in the northland though. Never forgot the values I learned. Having to work and live in the city sucks and I hate it. I spend alot of time up north too. I even can change my dialect when I cross Hiway 2. Cripes amighty! It's a matter of survival.......T

Pete - I guess we're both swampies now, heh?

The big difference is we won't come trudging into town wearing knee high socks, sandels, a Crocodile Dundee hat, and hugging every pine tree in sight.

[This message has been edited by Leaky (edited 01-28-2004).]

Interesting read folks. I guess I would be known as a 507 rube. Being from the 507 area code I've never heard of this controversy. Or is there another name for us "southern boys". grin.gif The way I figure it doesn't matter where your from everybody should respect the outdoors and all it's glory.

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

Deny it all you want, but everyone in this state is a hick. Twin Cities area or not. I don't know why that is so offensive to some Cities people. The rest of the country looks up on all of MN as hicks, and I think it's great. Be proud to be a hick!!! I am!

Well...i'll take the # 763 over 666,420,but i have to admit,i also like the 069.
Sorry,i could'nt resist.
I'm with IFallsRon...Cheeseheads,Viqueens,cakeaters,jocks and freaks....
Who really cares?
Ignorance only grows with time!
Just glad to be humble!