• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lost a good buddy

rcook72

Today my brother had to put down his yellow lab. 6 yrs old and up until the past couple of weeks was a retrieving machine. She would go until you couldn't throw anymore. When we were in our 20's he bought a house and we moved in with each other. In 2001 I got a choc. lab and one year later he picked up Philly. Lived with her for almost 3 yrs. Then we fished camped and hunted all the time with our 2 dogs. They were best friends. Well she started losing weight a couple weeks ago and just so happened that he had swithced food and thought she was being stubborn about the new chow. The last 3 days she couldn't hold any food down so when they had test done at the vet she tested positive for Lyme's disease, and her Kidneys were past repair. I took my dog over and met and hung out with Philly for the evening. After we left my brother was taking her for a swim.... thats what she loved to do. This morning he had to let her go. Sucks thats all I can say. I feel like she was my dog to. Make sure you get your shots for your dogs, she was an incredible, loveable dog that had to go way before her time.

Sorry you guys lost a best friend. As kids we never heard of lymes disease and a host of other problems, now you sure hear a fair amount about different things. I thought I read that the vaccine wasn't a sure thing???

Sorry to hear about the dog, you'll find alot of support here, which is a wonderful thing (i've experienced it firsthand) but it doesn't take away the sting of loosing a best friend. Only time will heal. You and your brother take care and remember the good times with her!!

I hope we don't start seeing more stories like this with all these darn ticks lately. Although it's not 100% effective, make sure you spend the $20 a year for the vaccination and make sure you get your hunting dogs checked once a year for lymes.

I'm sorry to hear about your brothers dogs. It's tough losing a buddy like that too early.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you guys. Hearing these types of things makes a person realize that the day will come for each of us (whether old age or illness); that we will be going through the same thing as you are and that we should take in every moment we can with them.

Thanks for sharing your story and best wishes,

"hooks"

Thanks Guys, Talk to my bro and he said that all went well at the vet. He asked that they speed the process up so that she didnt have to be in the office for long. She was smiling and happy and went right to sleep.