• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexis in the way

cattailcrew1

Does any one have any good ideas to keep vexilars from getting in the way. Sometimes i don't have enough time to pull out of the way before fish is at bottom of hole. It seems that every time i don't pull it up the fish finds a way to tangle in the cord.
Any ideas besides taking it out.

drill another hole right next to it if your in a fish house do the same thing but have a small hole cut in the floor right next to the hole your fishing out of. about the size of a small can, that should work

That's what I do. Drill another hole. If you can't do that, make sure you adjust the rubber stopper on the cable so the transducer doesn't hang down any further than it needs to. this will help keep a fish from wrapping your line around it.

I hang my ducer right below the bottom of the ice. This way the cord is against the ice. Sometimes people will put the stopper just so the ducer is below the ice, and also will take the "float" off, so it hangs by the arm included with our vex pro-pack.
I hope this helps.

-Tank

Doesn't matter what brand you use. If the ducer hangs just below the bottom of the ice (whether with a floating styrofoam piece or hanging straight down from an arm), a fish that fights to the side will tangle.

I use the second hole method, and usually park the unit (I have the round pro-pack FL8-SLT with the soft cover but would use the LX-3 the same way) right over the second hole. Never a problem that way.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-27-2004).]

stcatfish - I can see how the double hole method would be the best way, but what if you have a permanent out? Do you drill a hole outside of the house and feed the ducer thru the house? If i'm fighting a decent fish, I usually grab my ducer and pull it out while getting her up. Just courious.

-Tank

In a permanent I pull up the styrofoam slip until it's resting inside the soft pack and lay the ducer cable against the side of the fishing hole so the ducer hangs just below the bottom of the ice, and I lay the unit off to the upper left side of the hole, since I'm right handed and tend to jig to the right bottom of a hole. Then, as soon as I set the hook and get a good tension on the fish, I flip the ducer up and out of the hole, trying to be careful to keep from bashing the ducer. Been using my unit for 5 or 6 years that way, and the ducer still is in great shape.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

stfcatfish- thanks for the tip- my last post didn't record. Can you tell me if you lose any signal strentgh from your FL-8 when doing the "double hole"? I'd like to try it in my permament this weekend, but am worried about loss of signal strength.

-tnak.

Well, signal strength itself doesn't change whether you're in two holes or one.

But in water shallower than 15 feet, I don't bother with the second hole, because the ducer cone doesn't extend far enough to the sides in shallow water to give me confidence that I'm reading the lure/fish well when the ducer cone's center is a foot or so away from my lure.

In shallow water, I drop the ducer in the hole I'm jigging from and hope for the best. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-28-2004).]

OR...Pull it out when you're fighting the fish. Granted this takes a bit of skill, but heck if I can do it, anyone can. Keep pressure on the fish (may need to reel down to the hole)and pull the ducer out quickly and set it aside gently, while lifting the rod higher and higher, but not too high so you have to start to reel. (did that make any sense?) I know, it's chaos when a nice fish is on, but it can be done. Otherwise the second hole method.

Wouldn't it be cool to get a 3" auger just for the duce?

Ebass
I also had an idea similar to yours. Mine includes a 18 volt drill, a 2 inch drill bit, and a long shank. I think this would work, however I have yet to construct the rig. I would simply drill the hole in -between my two fishing holes. If I can I will usually drill a seperate 8 inch hole for vex, however that takes up a lot of space. Thanks for all the input. I'm going to look into the 2 inch drill bit idea.

That LX 3 without the syrofoam float tangles a lot less. Because it stays where you put in your hole and can't move around as much when a fish comes up. The only thing I have had tangle mine up is a old nasty eelpout. You can take off the float and find some way to attach it to your carrying system what ever it is and you would have the same thing.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Last year when the ice was 4 feet thick I started have the same problem. I tied a piece of 1/8 inch nylon rope just above the the rubber plug. I threaded the rope over the roof post of my Otter. When I had a fish I just reached up and pulled the rope down and the ducer came right out of the hole. Simple, but effective.

You Marcum finatics actually think less fish tangle on the ducer cuz your useing an lx-3? Wow! smile.gif

Im a vex user(dosent matter) and I tell everyone that gets one to not use that darm float. Any new unit on any kind of pro pack or box comes with an arm to hang the ducer on. Much easier to remove it from the hole if needed. One thing I see alot of people doing that isnt necessary is having the ducer down way to far. Saw a guy the other day on about 8 inches of ice and his ducer down 3 ft. Just asking for trouble with that. If you keep your ducer to the side and just a little bit above the bottom of the ice, rarely does a fish get into it....