• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats your most memorable fish?

icebum1

I have two didnt catch either one. first was with my dad on ramsey lake in wright county proably 25 yrs ago, the old man was fishing with a fly rod for sunfish and hooked a big fish half way through the battle the reel falls off the rod so i am sqatting underneath him reattaching the reel while he is fighting the fish, took 15 minutes finally got him in , hadnt noticed people had gathered on shore and had been watching the whole thing they all started cheering. end result 20# carp.second was on pommedeterre lake in grant county my brother inlaw 'gooseole' lost a big bass right next to the boat. watching him beat his fishing rod on the water and cursing the fishing gods afterwords still makes me laugh 10 yrs later.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have to be the 46 inch muskie I caught last May on Pipestone Lake in Ontario. On a #7 Shad Rap and 8 lb test line! After I released it, my fishing buddy told me I just sat there with a stunned look on my face. We estimated that fish weighed 30+ lbs.!

------------------
YOU CAN'T talk AN OLD talk'ER!

I was about 10 when my family visited my uncle in Sheboygan, WI. He had a nice fishing boat on Lake Michigan. Ended up catching a 16.5# steelhead after a 45 minute battle, that fish was nearly as long as I was! An awesome fight, the fish jumped several times, clearing the water each time. She hangs on my wall today. Caught a 26# King Salmon at age 13. Caught and released a 15# steelie when I was about 18. Big fish from the big lake.

I have two:
1) I was four years old and my family was on vacation at Cut-Foot-Sioux. We were fishing with big suckers under big bobbers in a bay. I hooked a northern and fought it myself. The reel fell off my little, beat up pole three times as I battled it and my Dad frantically put it back on each time. Finally got him in the boat and I carried him all the way to the lodge. Weighed in at 7 lbs. and I think my dad was more excited than I was.

2) Two of my buddies and I road-tripped to Lake Michigan for Labor Day weekend in 1983. One guys dad owned two charter boats in Two Rivers and he let us use one as business was slow. I caught 8 kings out of the boat that were over 20 lbs, the biggest was just over 30 lbs. The best one of the weekend, though, was on one day that was too windy to be on the lake. I was casting off the cement pier into the river with my walleye rod. Hooked a 17 lb king and fought it almost an hour before I landed it. 10 lb test trilene on a 6 foot eagle claw rod and reel. What a thrill!! The people eating lunch at the McDonalds just about had a cow when I walked by with that fish slung over my shoulder.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)

[This message has been edited by CornPirateKiller (edited 01-28-2004).]

March 2000 on the Rainy River, my first trip there. I was with two buddies and a 14 foot Lund, we stayed at the Walleye Inn. When Al Linder came down the stairs for breakfast, we figured it would be a good day.

Ten minutes in, 50 yards from the ClementsonAccessOnRainyRiver landing, I hooked a 50 inch sturgeon on 6 lb test that took 45 minutes to get in. While I ws busy with that, the two other guys caught 5 and & 7 lb eyes. During the course of that day we probably caught 90 eyes. I caught six fish over 8 lbs., three of which were over 10, and one of which was over 12. Unreal, unbelievebale, and impossible to duplicate ever again.

A friend and I were fishing on the English river in Canada and I was anchored on one of my favorite spots jigging for walleyes.All of a sudden my friend gets a bite and the fish starts peeling off line.After a minute it took out so much line I had to pull the anchor up and start up the boat to catch up to it.For the next 1 1/2 hours we followed the fish around and could hardly even get it off the bottom.I dont think the fish even new it was hooked.I even used up both batteries in the video cam recording it.After all that time my freind said well its either coming up or the line is going to break,well the line broke and we never saw the fish.Im sure it was a sturgeon as I have seen big ones break the surface of the water there before.I always wonder how big that fish really was as I have see people land some pretty big sturgeon on light tackle.That is one day I will never forget.

Most memorable day was a 46inch ski,a 20 inch smallie and a 27.5 inch eye all in one evening on Mille this fall with Mr Pike 1.

Close second was my first 28.5 'eye and a few others in the 26.5 to 27.5 class in a 30 minute period, with one I lost that that I could hardly move off the bottom.

Third was a 48+ inch ski ice fishing for perch I caught on 6 lb test and a tiny ice jig. Should have seen Mr Pike 1's expression when he pulled it through the ice for me.

Oh and finally my first ice fishing trip to LOW last March, too many fish to count, the airtemp was in the 50's and it was bright and sunny. Could have fished in shorts!

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 01-28-2004).]

Gosh, so many fish and so many memories it's hard to pick even a few, but I'll try.

#1. First 10#+ walleye ever. Northern Lights Lake in Ontario, night fishing with slip bobber and a leech, caught with a 9/10 fly rod/spinning reel outfit and 4# test. Fish went 33" Quick pic and let her go. Hardest CPR I ever did...lol.

#2. 35# + sturgeon caught through the ice on LOW just over Pine Island 2002 Thanksgiving weekend. Caught on a deadstick/St. Croix ice rod with 6# test. There was only 6-7" of clear ice with no snow so we got to watch this fish zoom under our feet many times before actually getting it up through the hole. Good thing we drilled 10" holes instead of the 8" holes I normally fish out of (buddy wanted to break in his new 10" Lazer). Also, as luck would have it none of us had a camera, but some fella in another house not far away who heard all the commotion went and got his camera and actually emailed me pics a week later. I owe him big time...here's the pic of this one:

47b4df08b3127cce87d89e2784270000001610

#3. 10.25# walleye on LOW caught on the final day of the MTT Championship. It ended up being big fish of the tourney and cashed my brother and I a couple checks. Being it was my first year fishing tourneys and my first championship fished ever, it meant alot...

#4. First 15" Red Lake crappie...all I can say is WOW! When that thing came through the hole I about peed my pants....

#5. First 40"+ pike caught. First and only fish I've ever mounted. Caught in a canoe on my first flyin trip to Ontario as a young guy. What a hoot! Had to beach her cause we were not adept at handling big fish like that, especially in a canoe. Stills hangs on the wall today.

#6. 9-3/4# bass on lake Okichobee, Fla. Showed me why they call them "bucketmouths". CPRed and eclipsed the same trip by my buddies 10-3/4# and 12-3/4#, both of which are mounted on his wall...Can ya blame him?

Grand prize of all though goes to watching my daughter catch her first walleye ever. She was six and caught it on a Snoopie pole. After getting her on a school of eyes I set her up with a nightcrawler figuring she'd for sure get some action, even if it was a perch. After 5 minutes she sees me using a minnow and insists that she use a minnow too. Not wanting to spoil her independant thinking, I put a minnow on for her and she promptly catches our first walleye of the day. A nice 16"er. I'll never forget it....

[This message has been edited by Eyewitness (edited 01-29-2004).]

sorry for the length. WE were fishing mobridge SD. The slot is small and only one over eighteen. We had no luck the previous day--it changed we had fisheda shelf and like a switch the fish were biting- we had 22 walleyes in 18 minutes we had to keep culling the two over 18 (dad and I) because we kept on getting bigger ones, we had boats trolling around. At that moment nothing could go wrong I felt as if I should go home and start a show on fishing- the king. At 10:00 everybody leaves. so did we and that is when it started. The live overflowed-the wind kicked up, and the boat would not go onto the trailer- the movement of hte river and me cranking it up put a tremoundous amopunt of force on the winch. I go to back it off and BAM hit my finger-it hurt but I did not know how bad until I put the light on it--Bone sticking out of the skin and barely hanging on not pretty. Middle of nowhere drive to hospital they say can not help you must go to Aberdeen SD, can not give yu anything for the pain. Get into truck pass out from pain. Get to Aberdeen have emergency surgery to try and save the finger. Happens to be a retired hand suregeon that lives and town who happens to have a surgical team that owes him a favor they fly in by hte time we get to the hospital everybody is ready and BAM they save the finger. Most memorable for a lot of reason, mainly because it was dad and me and for a moment we felt like kings of the fishing world.

man what a story's i can't wait to tell mine but here it goes..

i was on the crow wing river spearing 5lb northen came in with a big sucker got them both in one shot never do that agian or at laest i don't think i will...

From 2001-2003, I was a stay home dad. My boy and I spent lots of time at the cabin.
One winter weekend, I took my (at that time) 2 and a half year old son, and my hunting buddies 11year old son Ray, ice fishing. so that's 3 of us.......in a Fishtrap Guide.
It got to a point where I had to get the heck out of there and do something, anything. So I go check the tip-ups. I get to the farthest one, and I see rustling, and hear clamoring, coming from the house. I get to the house and hear "get it, get it". As I throw back the top, my baby boy is on his knees, holding a 2 pound walleye, perfectly, by the gills. A grin from ear to ear. On all three of our faces!
That kid reached right into that hole, and grabbed the walleye by the opercular flap, like he'd been doing it for years. (he had not, but he will) Clearly, Ray did a wonderful job of reeling it up. It was on a crappie rig.
Never in my life have I had a greater want for a camera than at that moment.......

[This message has been edited by irvingdog (edited 01-29-2004).]

Here are a few fish stories:

1) The 16 lb channel cat I caught in the Fox River in Illinois at age 10 after watching my fishing partner, age 54, outfish me 10 to 1 all day. Sweet revenge!

2) A 34 inch flathead catfish that went between 17 and 25 lbs (all I had was a broken bathroom scale), Fox River. This fish was as long as my leg with a mouth I could stick my open hand in. What a fight!

3) 7 1/2 lb largemouth caught in an Illinois gravel pit, I was 9, I'd never seen a fish like that in my life.

Honorable mention: little smallmouth that hopped out of the river and into my lap on a canoe trip one day.

Fun topic!

My most memorable fish..."Hummmmmm? I do believe it was a Bear compound bow, 65# draw, with a set up on it for bow fishing.

I was working a jig off the reeds around Malones Isle on Mille Lacs and all of a sudden I was on to something...it kinda moved side to side and once in awhile it would glide right or left, and when I eased up a bit, it would head for the bottom. It definately felt like something alive and it felt heavy! Whatever it was , I figured it could easily break my 6 pound test.

The closer to the boat I got it, the more dead weight it became, only moving once in awhile....I did'nt know if it was a turtle, or what? When it was right below the boat, I hand lined it in and I was'nt sure it was'nt a living thing until I seen it!

I took it home, cleaned it up, told the story to all that cared to listen, sent the reel attachment to my friend up in Little Falls and sold the bow for $50.00!

i'd rather write a book for this but i'll be brief instead.
12# laker on a fly-in to ontario when i was 12 with my best friend. fishing in a place they call "walleye bay" i thought i had the walleye of a lifetime but was still quite pleased with what i got.

15# pike ice fishing on mil lacs with my boy scout troop. noticed the bite on the rod while i was looking through the camera lens taking a picture of the shanty and everybody playing cards in it.

fishing old iron mines with my dad and catching three pound bass all day long. normally get stuck fishing sunnies with dad so this was a great change.

best friend kelly and our 15 minute old investment caught 18 and 16" smallies on two casts right at dark on the river by my house new investment= banjo minnows.

fishing topwaters from a canoe in the BWCA with the old crew from scouts. my friend tyler and i spent the whole week throwing topwates. landed monster smallies and zillions of pike all week long . included 20.5 18.5 and two 16" smallies, 18"largemouth and 23" walleye in pouring rain on the same topwater lure. the outfitters looked at us really weird when we told them about that one.

mine without a doubt would be with my 2 1/2 year old son on our first trip to red lake Jan 16-18 2003.. we were trying to fish for crappies but could only seem to pull perch up... I caught 3 perch and every time the bobber would go down and my son would try they all came off. I suppose it was due to him not setting the hook.. he was getting bummed out so instead of me doing it, i let him try for the rest and i sat and watched..
was about 15 minutes from the last attemt at a perch and the bobber goes down again, so he grabs the pole and i told him to jerk it.. so he does, and the drag went crazy.. I was thinking about taking over cause i knew it wasnt a perch, but being the nice father i am, i let him do the battle.. after about 10 minutes of tug of war up came a 14 3/4 inch slab..
His first fish, obviously his biggest fish.. not to mention bigger than any crappie i have ever caught..

the look on his face , ill never forget..
I dont know how to post pics on here, but here is the link to my site where the pics are...
just a beautiful slab, it will be on the wall for him..
f9ba6db0.jpg

[This message has been edited by beaverlakeman (edited 02-03-2004).]

Oooops, tried to post your pic for you, Nice crappie by the way! It cannot be posted from that site I guess.
If you want to post pics on here, got to www.imagestation.com and sign up, its free. then you can upload images onto a online photo album where they can easily be posted on here.
------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}}("< ---><!>

[This message has been edited by Cyberfish (edited 02-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Cyberfish (edited 02-02-2004).]

I don't know if it's the most memorable for me, but it's close and it's the most recent big fish I caught.
Last fall (mid October) on a little like north of Grand Rapids, my buddy and I were about to call it a day, our open water season actually. We were casting for bass and turned the trolling motor up as we headed towards his dock. I made "one last cast" and guess what? 21" smallmouth about 40' off his the front of his dock. Fought for about 5 minutes and finally got her in. What a hawg! My biggest smallie to date. I put her on the digital scale quickly, and she weighed in at 5.2 lbs. Snapped some pictures and let her go and smiled as we watched her swim away in that gin-clear water. Great fish and what a way to end the year. smile.gif

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

Not certain on the weight, I didnt have a scale on me. But thankfully I had the camera and a tape. 36" Is approximatly a 15 pounder. Biggest fish of my life. Easily. Before this It was a 4 lb Walleye through the ice. I have caught a few 10+ lb salmon in the river out in Washington, but this wasnt the same situation for sure! I had 4 lb test on, going for Crappies. When he hit I has doing something else of course, so I grabbed the line instead of the pole to bring, what I thought was, the small perch in. We had caught about 50 small perch in the last hour, non stop. When I grabbed the line, he took off of course. Luckily I let him run, then grabbed the rod without losing tension. From there it ws a fight. He ran on me probly 25 times, and each time he would go for 3-6 seconds.

The worst part was I had NO IDEA what I had for the first 15-20 minutes. I was worried I would never see it cause of that 4 lb test. When I finally seen it under the ice, I was shocked. Seriously I never thought I was going to get it up the 8" hole. No way could I turn a 3' long fish up that hole with the light line. So I just let him fight.

3 times I got him somewhat started up the hole, the head angled. Then he ran again, I really expected to lose him while this was going on. But finally on the 4th time, he cam e up. The ice was 3' thick, so when I finally had a chance I went down for him. What a rush. If your not a fisherman you have no idea, this was fun man.

Snapped a few pics, let em go.
I had a buddy take the pictures underwater because I seriously did not think I was going to land it. Got really lucky.

viewfile.cfm?files=Chadbigpike%2EJPG

viewfile.cfm?files=chadbigpike10%2EJPG

[This message has been edited by Chad711 (edited 03-19-2004).]

Winter 1993 ice fishing on Fench Lake (Faribault) was bringing my line up to call it quits. Knock on door so I sat my line down. Was the DNR officer.. while checking me out my line and pole just dissappeared accross the floor and down the hole.
The next day something hits my line and snapps it hard and tangles my other line and pulls the pole over the hole.
My line breaks I was holding so went over to the other and after a minute I pulled up a furious mess of line a tired 32" Northern with to jigs in his mouth. The second one was from the day before and all the line wrapped around its gills had a 30 ft section that my pole from the day before appeared at the end... smile.gif
Big deposit & big return LOL

April 2001 I was shore fishing with my then 8 year old son. He hooks into a fish and starts yelling for help, I tell him to relax and just play it like he had done with the few he had caught earlier (1 1/2-2 1/2 lb walleys.) He says this one is pulling alot harder! I get in the water up to my kness, (my boots only went to mid-shin) and grab his fish for him. Digital scale reads 8 1/2 lbs. Bigger than any walleye Dad has ever caught. The pressure is now on. 45 minutes later I hook into what feels like a huge northern or Musky. After a 15 minute fight I jump back in again and pull out a 11 lb 11 oz walleye. Both fish were photo'd and released. One of the best days of my life!
Tully

A FISHING TALE………..

I was fishing on Lake Minnetonka with a couple of friends five years ago. It was the middle of July and we were trying to find some sunfish. We located them underneath the Arcola Bridge. We tied up to one of the pilings and proceeded to catch some decent sized fish. A man and his grandson pulled up next to us and asked if they could fish next to us because they hadn’t been able to locate any fish. I had no problem with that. The gent was 78 years old and he was with his five year old grandson. It was the first time they had been fishing together and he wanted him to catch some fish. The grandson had the “snoopy” pole which has about 40lb test on it. They were using canned corn for bait and started pulling in some fish. I heard this loud scream and saw the grandson barely able to hang onto his pole. He was screaming for help. The grandfather took the rod and proceeded to wrestle with a very large fish. He fought that fish for what seems like 20 minutes. He managed to boat the fish which then proceeded to thrash everything in the boat. The grandson was crying and trying to huddle in the front of the boat. The grandfather was so out of breath that he collapsed. I jumped into their boat and helped the man into a chair. I put the grandson on his lap which kind of settled him down. I grabbed the fish and held it up. The grandson screamed and wanted nothing to do with it. I asked the grandfather if he had a camera which he didn’t. I always carry a disposable camera. I didn’t have much on it so I told him he could have it. I tried to hold up the fish so I wasn’t in the picture. My friend took a very nice set of pictures where I could hold it up with grandfather and grandson in the background. The grandfather said he was going to dock the boat and take the pictures down to be developed right away. He was going to have some large ones made and framed for other family members. He couldn’t thank us enough. Oh by the way, the fish was a 26 lb. muskie, I revived it and released it. The grandson was reeling up a small sunfish and the muskie grabbed it.