• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fla to Mn

Gunner54

I'm another headed to Minnesota to do some fishing this month. I'm a transplant living in Florida, (the panhandle area) where I retired from the USAF. I'll be fishing with my bro-in-law and some old school mates from over 30 years ago. We'll be on Rush Lake.

Any suggestions on what I should bring from Fla? I'll have three rods traveling with me through the air: 7' Flippin rod, a 6' rod for crankbaits/spinner baits, and a 6'6" spinning rod for worming and other plastics. Because I'm flying, I am trying to take the minimum amount of tackle with maximum results. Bass is the target fish!

Tight lines...

Right now fish are hopping big time on deep cranks for me. Definitely want to bring some of them if you got em. Jigs and pigs have been working well for some, but I am not very confident in them. Comidas skipped under docks are working well too. Lots of different presentations have been working right now. On Rush, if you try spinnerbaits you will probably catch a lot more pike than bass right now, same with lipless cranks. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Just fished a tourney on Rush Lake, as stated, deep cranks and jigs were the ticket. Find a point and let them fly. Northerns, Bass and Walleye were all grouped together and eating cranks. Lots of action.

Welcome to the site! Which Rush Lake? If you mean east rush/west rush in chisago county my advice would be to go to a different lake. I just got off of it. There is some great bass fishing to be had there but there are so many more fruitful lakes in the area. Now if this is the same rush lake and you ARE going there you have a good start on the arsenal. I'd focus on the weed edges and flats as well as any significant turns/points adjacent to deeper water. There is plenty of structure and the use of the electronics will help a lot. As far as gear goes I'd stick to "plastics" used on a carolina rig or texas rig...even your florida rig. I don't know anyone that is on a crankbait bite worth pursuing out there so I'd probably leave those tucked away. You might pick up a few tossing the spinnerbaits or buzzbaits but the better fish are mostly deeper. You can find fish in tight but those will probably be smaller. There's fish in the slop and if you can establish a pattern on that you could fill the boat pretty quick. Lots of prime looking places to flip or pitch too. Good luck!

if you're refering to rush in ottertail county, we used to find most of our bass on the north end of the lake. worms in the weeds, spinnerbaits in the reeds. if it is ottertail county, give donnel(sp) lake a try. not much of a ramp, but it used to be a nice bass lake for me when i was a kid. i saw it again 7 or 8 years ago, the ramp was the same, but many more houses along the shore.

Welcome to the newbies.. I see two in this post and its great!!! Pleas stick around and enjoy the site!!!

As for what to bring to MN.. bass are bass.. I have fished FL before, and it did take me a day or so to adapt to the different covers, but I was able to use the gear and lures I pretty much already had... Jigs, cranks, spinnerbaits.. you should be good to go. just maybe expect to fish a little deeper than you are used to is all.

I couldn't tell you for sure which Rush Lake, east or west. I'm along for the ride with my brother in law and reservations have been made at a camp site he uses every year.

Sounds like I'll bring a small selections of crank baits, DTs of various depths, a few spinner baits, and a fist full of terminal tackle to go with the plastics. My preferred way to fish is with a Texas rigged worm and it seems to work every where. Also like to throw lipless cranks, with Yozuri being my fav. I also plan on throwing a toad or two across any pads or matted grass there may be.

The bottom line is a chance to get on the water with some good friends chasing fish.

Thanks for the tips.

Tight lines...