• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gifting fish?

311Hemi

Is there any special requirement to gift fish like giving a piece of paper with my name and license number, or marking the packages? I tried searching the online regs but it keep locking up my computer here at work.

I have someone coming (driving) into town from out west that I would like to give a few fillet's to to take home.

It's my understanding the gifting fish is 100% legal. I have a few in the freezer from this summer and I plan to give them to someone who doesn't get to fish them much if at all.

Thus why I am asking.

Follow any regs as they pertain to the watershed in question as to slots, limits, and I.D and such and put your license # on the package. It's then 100% legal the way I read the statute.

I do this quite regular on the LOTW, especially come wintertime.

do you have your flame proof shorts on??? eek

I say, look up the regs, follow the regs. I gift fish from one licenced fisherman to someone who does not fish much, who likes to eat fish. As far as I am concerned as long as he is eating them and not getting over limit, I will keep giving him fish.

Others will come on here and tell you not to give fish at all.....

Just follow the storage guidelines listed in the regulations.

Here's a cut and paste.

"Storage

new • A person who stores fish for another must plainly mark the

package, in ink, with the name, address, and fishing license number of the owner, and the number of fish in the package, the waterbody where taken, and total length of each fish with a size limit."

I don't understand minnesota's definition of "possession of sport fish"

So.. you can only possess a certain amount(1 day's limit). If you fillet it and throw it in your freezer and don't eat it, and you have a full limit in your freezer, you can't go fishing until you eat some of your fillets? That seems to be what I gather from reading the regs. Kinda sucks you can't stock up a freezer full.

If that's the case, shouldn't trophies made from fish count towards your possession limit? You're still possessing sport-caught fish. (it sounds silly I know, but read the regs! "Fish are in an angler’s possession whether on hand, in cold storage, in transport, or elsewhere.")

So.. you can only possess a certain amount(1 day's limit). If you fillet it and throw it in your freezer and don't eat it, and you have a full limit in your freezer, you can't go fishing until you eat some of your fillets? That seems to be what I gather from reading the regs. Kinda sucks you can't stock up a freezer full.

If that's the case, shouldn't trophies made from fish count towards your possession limit? You're still possessing sport-caught fish. (it sounds silly I know, but read the regs! "Fish are in an angler’s possession whether on hand, in cold storage, in transport, or elsewhere.")

Yep it fish in possession and that includes your freezer. And I see nothing wrong with that, you can still fish, you just can't keep anymore fish until you eat what you have.

The trophy on the wall doesn't really have any meat there. Most just styrofoam and some skin.

That's exactly why the law is like that........specifically to keep people from going out every day and "stocking" up there freezer.

Fresh fish tastes much better anyways wink

So what is the differance if you go out every day catch your limit and go home and eat them foe dinner. Or you go and catch your limit every day and put your limit in the freezer so you can have friends and family over for a fish fry. The limit is still the same and the same amount of fish are taken. Just becuase one way is the fish are compost sooner is no differance. The only reason that I know this rule to be is for people that will catch a limit, run back in and store the fish, then goback out and catch another limit or more the same day. I think the daily limit should be it, not possesion as long as you don't exceed your daily limit.

So with that logic, then an out of stater could come here with a party of 4 and stay for 7 days, then take 4 limits x seven days home with them.

So if they were fishing crappies that would legally be 280 crappies. That is one group for one week…….

OMG! I wish I wouldn't have read that.

I don't know who needs a freezer full of fish. I've done fish fries for people at work and a limit of waleye and crappie fed a lot of people. I'm all for keeping fish, but don't get rediculous with it.

Jerkbait ------

The difference is that someone is not likely to eat fish everyday, and therefore the resource is not depleted.

As far as gifting fish. I provided my neighbor fresh fish for several years before he died this past March at the age of 90. He was a real outdoorsman and in years past would go and catch his own. As he got older he couldn't get around very well, but he still liked a good walleye or crappie dinner every month or so which I was happy to supply.

That was just an example I was making. 2 different scenarios, same number of fish. Also I do know people that eat fish everyday. My point is what is the differance if you eat them or freeze them for a later date. Maybe you only get to fish at certain times of the year, but like to have fish dinners every now and then.

"The difference is that someone is not likely to eat fish everyday, and therefore the resource is not depleted."

What about the guide who takes out 3 clients in the morning and they get their limit and then he takes out three more in the afternoon and they get their limit. He does this day after day all summer. He is part of a larger group who all do this, day in and day out. The resource was not designed to take this kind of pressure. This is part of the reason for the heavy stocking. Just another angle to look at.

The "average" Joe who fishes to have a meal is doing VERY little damage. I say gift all you want. I gift fish all the time and never think twice about it.

It is a possession limit. In place to keep people from hoarding fish. Once you have the fish in your freezer there is no way to tell when or where they were caught.

If you want to have a fish fry get a bunch of guys with their limits and you will have plenty.

This is a real interesting debate, and I can see merit in both sides of the argument. My opinion is that fish and game are a resource that provide quality food as well as recreational activities. No one should feel guilty for using this resource in a sustainable manner. I get real put off by elitists that rip others for using this resource.

Here's an example that illustrates my point:

1- "Jack" is a road construction equipment operator. From frost-out til freeze-up he's working grueling 6-day weeks, usually away from home and when he gets home for his day off, he spends it at home with his family. In the winter, he's laid off and gets out ice-fishing 2-3 times a week and usually comes home with a decent catch of pannies. He cleans these fish and freezes them in water in milk cartons and puts them up in the freezer. Throughout the yr, his family is able to enjoy a fish dinner about once a week.

On one hand, this is clearly a violation of the law. On the other, "Jack" is no harder on the resource than I am(we eat fresh fish on average about once a week). I sure don't regard this guy as a criminal or game-hog. Do you?

I too, have, and will continue gift a meal of walleye to a fellow sportman (grand-father in-law) that is no longer able to get out in the boat due to age / health. I've also given a meal (not a full limit) once a year to a neighbor that I appreciate.

I have thought twice about gifting fish, though. I do not see it as a problem if done responsibly. But, I don't believe our lakes are a gift store or a food shelf for others. I know this is not a view that alot of fisherman agree with. Myself, I've thought about it twice, and when I was hostest about it, I found I was stroking / getting my ego stoked and used "being nice by (over) gifting as an excuse to keep any fish I caught. All done at the expense of our fisheries. I've kept fish in the past that I didn't need / want them, but I'd caught them and I didn't want to show up at the landing / go home with nothing. My ego couldn't take not being able to prove that I caught something.

I no longer need this "chest thumping" ego stroke. I go out with a plan now. Most times I plan on keeping nothing. Especially if I've recently kept some or still have some in the freezer. I don't go out and use the neighbors / relatives as an excuse / reason to keep my limit of fish, or even the two or three I may end up with. I appreciate not wanting to waste fish, but it irriates me when guys at the landing are looking for someone to give their one or two fish away to because they don't want to just clean one of two fish.

I also do not understand the fisherman that fill there freezer or "double dip" by irresposible gifting, and, when the fish they're catching are gone (months, years later), they blame the DNR for not stocking more. It seems like it's the "freezer stockers" / irresponsible gifters that are most critical of the DNR.

I don't believe we can use our fathers/ grandfathers views on fish harvest. Maybe if we go back to their equipment. We have tools today that I believe make fishing more fun and productive. This equipment is a double-edged sword if not used responsibly though. Times (equipment & technology) have changed. I believe fishermen's views on fish harvest ought to change also. IMO.