• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

- Chaska Fire Dept. - Ice fishing contest

EBass

It's on the Northwest corner of Hwy. 212 and 41. Usually not that big of fish wins it. Most of the time it's a 5 to 8 oz. crappie. But three or 4 years ago we had two around 10lb. northerns weighed in and last year a 1 lb 12 oz. Crappie won it.

Specifics...How big is the lake?...How many people expected?...Two lines allowed?...Pay at arrival?...Number of fish allowedd to be registered...?Sounds like fun, I'll try to make it.

[This message has been edited by Lunker (edited 01-27-2004).]

Just an FYI for all you fishermen/women out there. The 47th annual Fire Department fishing contest will be held on Sunday, February 8th from 2-4 p.m. on Fireman's pond. Tickets are $2.00 per ticket w/approx. 250-300 misc. (small) lake drawing prizes given away during the contest. Largest designated game fish is a 4 h.p. Mercury outboard, 2nd is a Frabil 1 man portable, 3rd an FL8 Vexilar, 4th a $250.00 Gift Certificate to Von Hanson's Meats, 5th is a $225.00 Gift Certificate to River City Spirits. For the Non-Fisherman (can be there or don't have to be there, but have to have a ticket) 1st-$500 Cash, 2nd-$500 Domestic travel credit, 3rd 2-$50.00 G.C. and $150 cash from Pauly's American Grill, 4th-$200.00 Shopping spree at Cooper's Market, 5th-19" Color T.V.

Not the biggest prizes, but well worth the trip. It's a fun event, so bring the whole family if you wish. There is food and beverages sold on the lake w/snacks in the weigh-in pavilion also.

Not very big lake (pond) at all. I believe it does get to 23 feet and averages 15 feet along the north shore of the lake (pond). One line per angler and you can register as many fish as you like, as long as it falls within state regulations. (10 crappies, 20 sunnies .... maybe even get one of those northerns). There was a kid who caught a 20+ lber. (I'm thinking 26 lbs.) out of there years ago on opener when his dad wouldn't take him up north w/him so he bought his kid one of thos small reels and had him fish the pond while he was up north. Nice surprise for dad when he got home. He had it mounted and brought it down to the contest a couple years ago. Huge! I would have never thought it would have come out of there.
As for people, it depends on the weather. I've seen only 200-300 show up but then I've seen around 900-1000 show up on a nice day. Not all are fishing, alot just show up to walk around and talk to people. It's a blast.

Also, you can buy tickets at the lake.

[This message has been edited by fireman182 (edited 01-28-2004).]

Yep, the holes are pre-drilled that morning. We've got about 10-12 augers that get used once a year. We drill them at about 9:00 a.m. so you may need to have a steel scoop to bust them open if it's cold out. It's quite the fiasco drilling the 750-1000 holes that we try to get in.

You can bring electronics also. We just don't allow portables. If you have one with a bench, it's o.k. to use if you don't have it set up totally.

The lake is getting groomed as I speak for the contest on Sunday. I can't believe how much snow is out on the lakes. The city had to bring in their big blower on a tractor and then bring in a couple of smaller plows to clear it all off.

Hope to see a bunch of you out there. Not the biggest contest, but one of the funnest. Like the saying goes, It's not how many fish you catch, it's the company you fish with that makes it worth while.

Well, I fished the contest. Firemen, you should post the results for fun. Due to the nice weather there were a lot of people out there. I caught 6 gills, all to small. The biggest weighed .102, the biggest sunny of the day was .136, so I guess I wasnt that far off. Biggest fish of the day was a 1.398 pound bass. Good fun, food,and friends. Fun time. Didn't win any of the drawings either, bummer!