• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2nd Annual Burntside Bash

Surface Tension

Wow, nice prizes for a low entry fee. smile.gif

Hey Jar Jar, haven't clamped for a while. Don't think I could live up to your example anyways - I think it was five points of contact? Pretty impressive. smile.gif

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Bob,
I am sorry to say this but i got to drop my plains with you on the bash.I will be calling the motel tommorow and tell them i will not be comming up.Something very inportan has come up and must attend to that.
Again I am very very soory I have left you haging.

I will only be up for the day as well. My wife will be out of town that weekend and I have to take care of the pooch. Ill still be there to catch a few trout and shoot the bull with everyone. Ill have the Quickset Icehouse set up for everyone to check out. grin.gif We will also be raffling off some Soderbloom Snakey sand tube house anchors. www.soderbloom.com

[This message has been edited by Northlander (edited 01-19-2004).]

Guys,
An opener weekend update for Burntside. Chunky and myself fished the area south of the dead river and found 14 inches of good ice. It was covered with 12+ inches of snow, and with the wicked winds of saturday there were drifts forming all over the lake. PLowed roads were filling in as fast as they could be replowed. I would not plan on doing alot of traveling by truck (even 4X4) at the bash with the amount of snow in the ice.
We put 3 trout on the ice out of 54' of water(and one snagged smelt), 2 keepers, and an 8" mini trout that went back. One on tipup/cisco and the other 2 on bucktail and shiner. Missed a couple also (including one that i really blew) and had alot of action on the vex all morning. They'd come up but wouldnt hit, tried plastics, raps, spoons with to no avail. With the brutal wind we stayed in one spot til 2pm then headed to the west arm and met "Bob the bartender" and his crew. They had one trout and a beautiful 38" slimer off a tipup!! They had 16" of ice off Long island.
Want to thank Chunky for the hospitality and the scenic tour of the lake in the dark wink.gif
Looking forward to seeing you all up there in a couple weeks.
Xplorer

I don't have access to a snow machine so am I going to have a hard time getting around at the bash? I was planning on being able to drive right up to the fishing spot. Thanks for the post!

Chris & Chunky - Sure was nice to see you guys this weekend. A great time was had by all. My Uncle had his house out about a mile from us and they picked up 3 trout on Saturday and had 1 on Sunday. We hit the road at 1:00. A couple other houses we checked on had about the same results. Personally, I think I did more visiting than fishing. No wonder I never catch any trout. grin.gif

Man, those are some great prizes. Thanks for all who offered them. This is going to be fantastic, even if I don't win the Otter to replace my aging and dilapidated Trap II grin.gif

Granny, there are places the roads go that offer good fishing. One of them is the point off the Dead itself where headquarters will be. We've pulled lots of fish from around that point, which is a giant honking point. I wouldn't worry about it. Also, there'll probably be plenty of guys with sleds who want to stay mobile, and you might hook up with one of them.

Lots of things to do that Saturday morning, eh? We'll take care of you one way or another. Chunky, S.T. and I aren't planning on fishing much on Saturday, preferring to help get folks on fish. We'll have a giant map of B-side with spots to go to.

I'm planning at least one Burntside jaunt before tha Bash, either Friday afternoon and/or a weekend day, to see if these harsh temps will build more ice in a week's time (-31 at the Ely Airport this morning.) Would be nice to get a bit more than 14 inches at the dead, if we have all those vehicles hanging around. I'll bring a tape measure for, uh, good measure, hehe. grin.gif

Chunk, you got time this weekend?

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-19-2004).]

Time this weekend? Hehehe, I've been waiting for this for months! By the by, an old haunt of ours is holding fish quite nicely. We'll want to stop by there. Granny, don't you fret. We'll be getting around just fine. I'm looking for a plow guy who might be interested in a little work fri/sat. Anyone who has tire chains will want to utilize them.

chunk

LP - Don't worry about me - I'll be fine, and besides, some people say I snore smile.gif.

Chris - Thanks for the report! I can't wait.
BTW - I stopped at that gas station by Minong this evening and picked up some of those jerky scraps. I'll bring a bag to the bash.

Northlander - THAT STINKS!

Hey guys - Can I take Northlander's place in the HQ tent??? rolleyes.gif???
I'll bring an extra heater if needed grin.gif.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Bob (edited 01-20-2004).]

Dr Bob Wish we had the room so you could join us. The fisrt and last time we tried 5 guys in the tent Reefraker burnt up his thermorest mattress from being to close to the wood stove. smile.gif There was a guy closer but he used a hunk of cardboard to as a heat sheild though. smile.gif

Stfcatfish or anyone else,
How many feet of water is there near Dead and HQ? This is going to be an absolute blast! Looking forward to finally meeting some of you guys. Later, Granny

Granny,
We could see the dead river area from where we fished on saturday. There was one permanent shack out there and a truck parked there, so i assume that there was a road plowed out to it from the landing. You can fish up to @60' right there at dead river.
If you get on the DNR HSOforum and go to the lakefinder for burntside you can look at the 1:24000 detail topo map and it shows depth contours (10' increments) for the east 1/2 of the lake. Or look at the pdf file for the whole lake.
There were several nice trout taken at dead river area last year.
Xplorer

Thanks S.T. -

I guess I'll just come up early Saturday morning then. Fund do not allow for 2 nights in the motel by myself.

Anyone else want to split my room with me Saturday night?

Hey Chris - Are you taking off from Van Vac access that morning? If you are I can meet you there and we can ride to the Dead River.

I sure hope it is not -20 that weekend shocked.gif.

If I recall, the water under HQ last year was 50 feet deep, and that's where Chunky got one 8 or 9 lbs, right out of his HQ house. grin.gif

I believe it hit his pimple while it was resting just under the ice and he was pouring himself a cup of Joe.

Is that right, Chunkster?

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

No, thats not right. It was 10 pounds. Sheesh!

Bob, don't you have some secret agent man button you press and your entire topper turns into a hotel complete with hot tub? grin.gif

chunk

[This message has been edited by chunkytrout (edited 01-20-2004).]

Geez, Bob, if that's true we'll all be begging to sleep in YOUR motel. grin.gif

Sorry Chunk, I keep underestimating everything but my own intelligence. wink.gif
It's a little known fact that IQ drops with age. Well, I just made that up, but that's what us newspaper folks do anyway, eh?

Oh, by the way, my plan is to take pics of the Bash and cover it for the Timberjay outdoor pages. So no mooning, unless you want your best side in the paper. tongue.gif

Seriously, no one will be in the paper who doesn't want to.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-20-2004).]

Stcatfish,
Can you please post some pictures here on the fm?I would really like to see some reall nice lakers that took placement of the contest.I am really going to miss a reall good time with you guys on this bash.I really hope you guys have a blast up there.

Bob,
Yup thats my plan. We can work out particulars next week, tho it is only a few miles over to the dead river. I do believe that i will wait til it is a little light out to head over, as me and chunky had an interesting ride out (it did give us a chance to talk and down a cold one at about 6:45am grin.gif)
chunky: I think that is shoreline in front of us. Let me check around to see if i recognize anything.
me: chunk, i think that's an island just to our left, you sure you know where we're goin??
chunk: oh ya, were good to go!
10 minutes later we were debating on where we were at, and decided a beer and a little more daylight was needed wink.gifwink.gif
Xplorer

Hey folks, with the deep freeze and high winds goin down, STF and I will hit the lake and give a report on conditions. I'm guessing ice will be sweet! Snow will be deep. I'm lining up a plow rig for the bash so stay tuned.

chunk