• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2nd Annual Burntside Bash

Surface Tension

What is the last day for early registration?

I'm trying to put together a group of rookies like myself to try this out.

Hoping to get some pointers from seasoned vets as well as have a good time.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, what they said. grin.gif

I use three laker rods/reels for jigging, and carry a tip-up for my second line (usually), all in the Croxton Pond bag. grin.gif

On Burntside (known for some numbers but not truly large fish), I'll be using:
1. 36-inch Berkley baitcast rod with 10-lb XL on an Ambassadeur 5500.
2. 34-inch custom made baitcast rod (thanks S.T.) with 12-lb XL on a 5500.
3. 32-inch Polar HT spinning rod (heavy action) with 14-lb XT on a Shimano 4000 series reel.

On water known for bigger fish, I'll use:
1. The same spinning rig mentioned above and the same two baitcasting rods.
2. On the Berkley baitcaster, which is heavy enough but lighter than the other, a 5500 with 12-lb XL.
3. On the heavier custom baitcaster, 20-lb XL on a 6500 (has an open-spool clicker), allowing me to use this rig as a second line with live or dead bait, which makes it easier to fight a truly big fish than hand-lining one in on a tip-up.

Even with mono, I tie on a swivel and three feet of fluorocarbon leader before adding the lure. Extra invisible insurance with the fluoro, and the swivel prevents line twist and lures that spin at rest.

My tip-up has 20 lb XL mono with no leader, a small treble with a tiny spinner just above it to make it legal in MN and a heavy split shot or small egg sinker a couple feet up the line to anchor the live bait. On B-side, I used large golden shiners last year on all four of my trips on the tip-up and caught lakers on either three of four trips or all four trips (can't remember exactly anymore). I set them half way down the water column over 50 to 60 FOW. Some folks also have good luck with dead bait on the bottom, although I'd bet that works better in a bit shallower water.

My go-to lure on B-side is a No. 7 standard jigging Rap (you're on your own for color pattern grin.gif), tipped on the center treble with minnow head or cisco strip. Hint: On any jigging Rap, remove the wimpy center treble and replace it with a larger one.

Second lure choices for me (but first choices for some others) are medium to large sized pimples and buckshot rattle spoons, also tipped. Nils Master Jigger Shad in the large size also should be great, but I haven't used them much there yet.

As previously mentioned, smelt are the predominant laker forage, but golden shiner and cisco also are present, according to DNR netting surveys.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-10-2004).]

I don't have a thickness report yet, but people have been driving on the lake up here for the last week or more. The main bays were open when we got our big snow, not freezing up until later, so when the cold weather came there was little snow to insulate the ice and keep it from thickening. That being said, we've gotten another six inches of snow in the last few days. It's supposed to be cold (below zero nights) this week, so if it's been driveable for a week and we've got this cold weather coming, I've no doubt it'll be even better in two to three weeks for the bash.

But you'll probably get some more detailed reports after laker opener this weekend. That'll put whole fleets of pickups on the lake with guys drilling holes all over.

Even when the ice is "safe," it's not safe. There are a number of places where creeks and rivers run into and out of Burntside, and those areas are best avoided.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Steve - Talked to Bob the Bartender today. Over 16" out by Long Island and same between the Van Vac Access and his cabin. They were pulling the house out today. Should be no problem.

[This message has been edited by Leaky (edited 01-12-2004).]

Hey Leaky:

Thanks man. I figured it was good ice of at least 14 inches. Woo hooo, come on Bash! Gonna get Bob the Bartender out there, Jim? Hey, we could just call him B&B for short. I'm sure he'd get the joke, being a bartender. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-12-2004).]

3 deep breaths.....hhhha, hooo, hhha,hooo, hhha hooo...ok I'm better now. Keep getting these little trout panic attacks. Steve, I'm planning a new death march for us. NO PORTABLE! Had to amputate the legs today.

chunk

Merry Troutmas Everyone

Ohhh, ouch Chunk. What, gangrene set in after only two miles of walking? Sheesh, you could have knocked me down with a bad breath after that stint. Wait a minute, you DID knock me down with a bad breath! tongue.gif

And we didn't even bring in enough refreshments to numb the pain for you. Good thing I brought in the Rapala knife, which is sharp enough to cut through the earth without causing a tremor and would have been just fine at amputation. Using my hand auger blades, now, THAT would be pain. Dull knife hurts more, as we said growing up in North Dakota. grin.gif

For those of you not in on the inside joke, Chunk and I on Sunday dragged my 2-man portable through two miles of new snow and rocky, hilly portages to fish Trout Lake north of Vermilion (children, can you say "skunkage?"). Trap II weighed 70 pounds or something like that empty, and we of course added another 60 pounds or so of gear, and if any of you have tried to pull a 130-lb Trap II through snow, you know that the word "snowplow" has nothing to do with a 3/4 ton truck and a Western blade! After over an hour of pulling to get to trout water, we found out that my hand auger, which was plenty sharp the weekend before and drilled just fine, didn't respond too well to my efforts to touch up the edge. Four holes took two winded guys working in tandem half an hour to drill.

"Mush," said stfcatfish to chunkytrout.

"Why?" asked chunkytrout rhetorically, gasping for breath. grin.gif

But enough digression. There need be no walking/towing at the Burntside Bash. No Bdub in sight, so let the internal combustion engine rule!

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Catfish,
Chunky and I will be taking the easy road this weekend, limited only by the towing capacity of a 488cc sled pulling a magnum otter grin.gif Now i understand much better why he's soooo looking forward to it wink.gif
Good luck to you guys up on the gunflint, by the end of saturday i hope to have an armload of "trouty" gps spots for B-Side!
We'll post some ice reports after.
Xplorer

Granny, lakers are primarily sight feeders. Night fishing probably isn't going to be worth it.

I got back from catching my first lakers through the ice up in Canada, and I think I got the bug. smile.gif Quite a bit more exciting than fishing them on open water, at least for me. I think I'm going to have to try and make this one.

Hey DR.BOB, was wondering what happened to you that day. Read your LOTW post and it sounds like we did about the same. Wanted to go to this last year but my job got in the way. Don't have that problem this time. Have fished B'side in summer but never winter. Buddy's father-in-law has a cabin right in front of HQ but don't know if he can go yet. I'm wondering where I should stay if it's just me. Anybody camping on the ice at HQ? Hope to see you there.

UPDATED WITH PRIZES smile.gif

poster.jpg
The Burntside Bash is a mini Ice leaders event also. I'd like to encourage every one to get registered ahead of time so we get an idea how many people we have.
Your entry fee will entitle you to my Famous Fire Hole Chili to accompany your grill ables. We'll have paper plates, bowls, utensil along with condiments for you. You'll also be competing for the Worlds Greatest Fishermen title and awarded a trophy. If that isn't enough we have some great prizes to be raffled off.

Otter Den Ice Shelter
large.jpg

Eskimo Barracuda Auger
smbarracuda.jpg
Un Bucket
sysbackpack.jpg
Stone Legacy Hole Covers
freezebee.jpg
Rod Straps by Today's Tackle
RSside-pail.jpg
Snakors by SMI - Soderbloom Manufacturing, Inc. Maker of the QuickSet Ice Shelter.

Certificate For
**Guided Fishing trip with Fishing Mn's** Jim W. One day stream or small river wading for smallmouth and trout in SE MN with.
Call Jim to schedule a day "spin-fishing" for Brown trout and Smallmouth bass.

We want to thank all the companies that have donated these great products. I also would like to thank our very own Jim W. for the the Guided Fishing Trip. If your familiar with the forum you'll know Jim W for his expertise on rivers along with his great sense of humor. Thanks Jim. I owe you big.

We are using the same rules as the Ice Leaders Event with these amendments.
Species are Lake Trout and Pike.
Only one fish per species may entered.
All fish Must be weighed in by 2 PM.
We'll be meeting at the the HQ at 7 AM
Contest starts at 8 AM.
Must be present to win.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 01-15-2004).]

Surface, it wouldn't be the first time I slept in the back of the truck. At least I would have company out there. I'll keep you posted.

------------------
Old Fisherman never die, they just smell that way.