• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sheet rock

Barony

I started looking at the PDF on codes, and quickly concluded that I have a simple question and I'm sure someone here can answer it a lot quicker than I could find it.

Pulled some sheet rock down from the ceiling in the basement to do a little work. Am I required to put back up 5/8 or can I put up 1/2? I thought I saw somewhere that 1/2 is now OK to put up for ceilings.

I agree with roofer. Sheetrock on ceilings is normally 5/8" becuase more floor/roof systems are 24" O.C. and sagging is a problem. 5/8" rock also is considered "Fire rock" and needs to be used in situations where a fire barrier is needed, i.e. garage to house walls and ceilngs.

They do have a high strength 1/2" rock to get away from the weight that seems to work good.

If its a repair hole and surrounding rock is 5/8 go with 5/8,If its taped right you wont notice the patch.However if its the whole ceiling,I'd go with the 1/2 inch rated for ceilings,just because its lighter and easier for one to install.

On the other hand if existing is 1/2 and your patching, go with 1/2...5/8 would leave a hump and be very noticible.

If the floor joists are 16" on center, you can use 1/2" for the ceiling. You can use 1/2" that is made for larger spans if you can find it. Roofer is right, 5/8" will sag less, but I have put up plenty of houses where we used 1/2" to do ceilings on lower levels.

If the floor joists are 16" on center, you can use 1/2" for the ceiling. You can use 1/2" that is made for larger spans if you can find it. Roofer is right, 5/8" will sag less, but I have put up plenty of houses where we used 1/2" to do ceilings on lower levels.
Ya can get all the 1/2 inch 24" span rated rock at any big box do it yourself store