• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Low stretch Line, ice buildup

mjhowe

What are some suggestions for low stretch line? I have been using braided lines, spider wire and fireline, but they hold the water and freeze up on the reel. I am fishing for Kokanee in 70 feet of water and the big fish are on the bottom.

Is Florocarbon really low stretch? It seems to stretch just like mono to me.

Also, any products that will REALLY keep ice off the guides? Fishing for Kokes you need a longer rod and that makes fishing in a house awkward!

Thanks!!

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"
(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)

I have some 8/1 power pro and it still has a ice build up problem but it isnt as bad as some other lines.
I guess thats just one thing you have to live with when your fishing.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

All the super lines ice up outdoors. I have no problems in my house. Flourocarbon does have a bit less stretch but still stretches. I like the Fireline Ice line. Seems to have a bit more coating but it eventually wears off.

I second the vote for Power Pro. I used it side by side with fireline this weekend in below zero temps, and next year all of my rods will have Power Pro. It did ice up a bit, but nowhere near as bad as fireline. The ice that did form broke off easily.

------------------
Wables

[This message has been edited by Wables (edited 01-26-2004).]

Sounds like you're in a shelter. So if you are, and you have a heater, what's the problem? Use a low-stretch braid (won't ice up with heat in a shelter), add a barrel or ball-bearing swivel and a fluorocarbon leader and tie on your lure, then HANG ON! grin.gif

I fish for lake trout in a Fish Trap II (two man flip-over shelter) using 36-inch rods, and the ceiling clearance can't be much over 4 feet where the holes are. I have no problem using mono lines in 50 to 80 FOW.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-26-2004).]

stcatfish he said "Fishing for Kokes you need a longer rod and that makes fishing in a house awkward!" So he isn't in a house. I am very satified with power pro but I don't fish much outside with it. Never had any experience with Florocarbon myself so I not much help on this one.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

My buddy had power-pro up in Canada last year in cold weather on a 500 Sedona, what a mess! I wouldn't recommend at all!
I have been fishing with fireline for the past two years and it works great! It doesn't hold water at all and if any, not much to cause troubles.
I typically use flurocarbon as a tippet on my fireline, about 5-8ft.
Hope this helps!
I wouldn't be afraid to use fire line at all!

Every line I have tried outside has froze somewhat. Yo-Zuri 4 lb smoke seems to work the best so far for me even though it will sometimes freeze outside the house, but it falls off as im reeling havent had too much freezing to the reel so far.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)