• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Liquid Crystal Depth Finder Question

eglleftcoast

Okay, so we are in the preparing stages for our annual fly in trip into Northern Ontario. My buddy and I have been doing this now for 30 years. As one might guess over the years we have added all the latest technology to help us find the trophy fish.

The problem we have is with our liquid crystal depth finders. Typically we have two guys in a 14 foot aluminum boat. We both have liquid crystal depth finders with both transducers attached to the stern of the boat. At some point in the day while trolling one or both depth finders lose contact with the bottom and start giving false depth readings. The only way to fix the problem is to turn off the unit, wait a few seconds and turn it back on, only for it to happen again a little later.

One of the guys in the group claims that the problem is that the transducer cone angles are over lapping one another and this causes the problem. Anybody know for sure the cause? Anybody have a solution to the problem? We have tried moving one of the transducers more forward on the boat but this is difficult due to the design of the boat.

One would think that Lowrance or someone would have developed some sort of transducer that would allow multiply display units to be attached to it if this was the problem. I can’t believe we are the only group going to Canada with two guys both having depth finders in one boat that have this problem and no one has developed a solution to the problem....

If your transducers are the same frequency in khz and the cones overlap you will get interference, and a common symptom of interference is losing your reading on the bottom. The deeper you go the bigger the cone angles get. If you have both transducers on the transom you will get interference in probably 6 fow, maybe less if the bottom is rocky and deflecting the signal.

One way around this is separating the transducers as you already mentioned. Using depth finders that operate on different frequencies, or dual frequencies, is another solution.

Some units are on the market now that let you share the display from 1 transducer between multiple units. It's not a function of the transducer, it's a function of being able to share that much information quickly enough over the network. Lowrance can do this now with an ethernet connection on their 500-series units and higher.

Yup, what PJ said. If you're using the same brand, same frequency, and the transducers are close enough for the cones to overlap, you'll get interference that will cause you to lose signal.

If you can, why not put one in the front of the boat, the other in the back. That allows each of you to have a unit that is reading what's under you.

Lowrance does have ways to run multiple units off of one transducer. You just need to talk to a dealer about it. Call Thorne Bros. or Capra's... they should be able to help you out.

Lowrance does have ways to run multiple units off of one transducer.

They have a switch that lets you run 2 units off 1 transducer, but the "problem" with the 2 units 1 transducer switch is you can only use 1 unit at a time. The only way to share the sonar display is with the ethernet cable on the units that take it.

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said do to the design of the boat it is basically impossible to place the other transducer on the bow of the boat. Last year we tried to design a bracket to accomplish the task but because of the contour of the boat it just didn't work.

Matt, the depth of the water we fish really moves around a lot. We can go from 35'of water to 7' in a heart beat. Because of the way we typically fish, it's really helpful for both guys to know what the bottom is doing to eliminate hang ups. Besides that, if I'm looking at the display I don't have to be looking at my fishing buddy all the time.

I'll make the phone call today and see what the boys at Capra's know on the subject....

So I talked to the folks at Lowrance yesterday regarding my question above. They told me that there was good news and bad news on the subject in hand. The good news is yes you can have two terminals working off one transducer at the same time. The bad news was that you have to have this years equipment to make it happen. Last years stuff and older there is no way to accomplish the task.

I know .... and I already posted that info for you grin

Some units are on the market now that let you share the display from 1 transducer between multiple units. It's not a function of the transducer, it's a function of being able to share that much information quickly enough over the network. Lowrance can do this now with an ethernet connection on their 500-series units and higher.