• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 skidoo summit questions

Balto

Does anyone know how to bring the idle back down on a 2002 summit with an 800 HO? It's idling at about 3,500 rpm and I would like to bring it down to about 1,200 or so. Also, are there any good silencers out there that have stock noise levels but with a lower, growly sound that doesn't sound like weedeater? I would like to get one but have absolutely zero experience with snowmobile exhaust systems.

I bought this sled 1 1/2 years ago and I'm still figuring out the odds and ends of it's operations. Haven't been able to ride it much yet.

Thanks in advance!

Balto

Assuming it ran fine for you last year I would pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly if you have not done so already. One/or both of the jets may be clogged or partially clogged. Pull the rubber boots between the carbs and cylinders and make sure there are no cracks and no corrosion on the rubber. If you bend the rubber boot and see any cracks you should replace them. Sounds like it is running lean and there is probably a mechanical reason for it.

Otherwise, there is an idle adjustment knob on the carbs.....but that would take a lot of adjustment to get it up to 3500rpm's in the first place.

Did you buy this sled from someone that used it solely in the mountains, or just flat land? Did it run right last year?

311Hemi,

The sled has always run fine and never had any trouble starting or any other mechanical problems, things like that. It's always been fine other than the idle, which I thought was supposed to be the way it is for quick power engagement.

Also, I bought it used from the local dealer with about 1800 miles on it and the idle was that way when I bought the sled.

I believe that what the previous owners used it for was a mix of both mountain and trail riding, as do I. I don't know much about Its history since I have never been able to talk the original owners.

The sled now has about 1,850 miles on it and has had no further trouble. Having the higher idle means that my clutch grabs quicker, which is nice, but it is very hard to carry on a conversation when the sled is running at 3,500 rpm. I'll try what you suggested and see if that helps. If not then I'll go from there.

Thanks a bunch!

Balto

It should not be idling that high....I am surprised they would sell it to you idling like that.

I would first make sure your carb boots are not cracked. You can not tell this unless you take them off and inspect them. If you have a cracked one and that's whats causing this it's only a matter of time until you burn that engine down. Skidoo has had boot issues in the past. Also, if the carbs have not been cleaned do that also.

The only adjustments you can play with are:

1) Idle screw - There should be a round (I believe metal) knob on the carbs, have you tried turning that? You would turn it counter-clockwise to lower the idle.

2) Each carb should have a screw that adjusts the air to fuel ratio (can't remember if it controls the air or fuel though, I think air). Yours may not be set correctly and the engine could be running to lean at idle.

I have also been reading through the other posts and found out that skidoo has had high idle problems for several years in the earlier 2000 decade models. I plan on taking a look at my skidoo this weekend, and will check on those things that you mentioned.

The salesman that I bought from also had it labeled as a 2003 and I did some research on it after I bought it and it turns out it was a 2002 ($800 difference in blue book value.), so they may have known it had high idle problems.

Thanks for the tips,

Balto