• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

metered trolling braid

blueroof

Suffix is coming out with a metered trolling braid. Five color braided line with a solid color change every 25'. I've only seen a magazine add showing lines test of 40lbs +, though I've heard they are coming out with lighter tests. Anyone seen this, or know of similar products in 20lb or lighter test?

LB

I tried line counters this spring for the first time trolling for trout, they were great. I would never even think of going back to colored trolling line again. Go with the line counters and then you can use whatever weight line you want.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I have been using line counters. My problem is I can realistically only spare room for 4 in the boat. I currently keep two with superlines and two with leadcore. Figured, if I could find some 6lb (or so) diameter superline that was metered, I could spool that on my bouncing rods. I could then use them as extra trolling rods when superline was working. I suppose I could just string up some more counters with braid and have them sitting around to switch out with.

thanks, LB

I used to have a Rapala one, kind of a hassle, but it worked, but turns out they don't float....

Blueroof- for your situation I would recommend the good old permanent marker, color a long section, maybe a foot in length at 50' then mark every 10' with a short dash, then another long one at 100' and so on. Same concept and one I have used with great sucess.

Blue right now I only have 1 lead core and 1 superline line counters, but I am planning on adding more reels and get them spooled up so I can just switch out the reels, seems more space friendly and a better solution for me to have multiple reels as opposed to multiple combos

I usually have a couple line counters spooled up with leadcore. But if I need those linecounters for other trolling ---- like if I'm taking people with me that don't have their own gear, and/or am going someplace where you can use multiple lines per person ---- I take the leadcore off the reels and put it back on the spool. I use a bolt, 2 washers and a nut to make an arbor and attach the empty spool to an electric drill. Then slowly run the drill and take the leadcore off my reels and put it back on the spools. Takes about a minute and works great.

Yup, I do that too. In the summer I usually pull boards and have mono on my linecounters, at other times of the year I do more flatlining and use braid for that. I keep the spools for the braids and keep track of what braid is on each reel, and just take it off and put it back on as needed.

I don't try to respool mono but I suppose you could, seems like it would be hard to handle and possibly twisted. I just buy my mono in bulk spools and get rid of it when I take it off the reel.

I keep a few segments of leadcore in my boat wrapped up on pop bottles in the event I need to add some weight to one of my braid rods. I have only used them a handful of times and had to deal with the pain of my reels being over-full but it got the job done.

mw