• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got the bow, now I need a stand!

I just got my bow yesturday, it's an older darton yukon xt. But now I need to find a stand and climbing sticks. I hear the lone wolfs are nice and light, and looked at a gorilla silver back similar to the lone wolf. they were both just about 12-13 pounds. I'm a bigger guy but short ... what are you guys going with? looking for some ideas on a stnad and sticks.

Hey,

That bow is good luck - I've seen it shoot very well and it is responsible for a few good kills... In fact, I've personally dragged out a deer shot by that very bow you are holding smile

I'm a lone wolf fan.. however, to fully appreciate how nice and quiet they are you need to start with something noisier and heavier. How about a 20lb steel River's edge with screw in steps? Try that for a weekend then borrow a LW stand and sticks smile

Seriously though.. I would pick up a light (<15 lbs) aluminum hang-on that has a nylon belt for attachment. The silverback with webbed seat is said to be very comfortable. Avoid chains. Two straps, even better. Couple that with some summit bucksteps, or if you want to go cheaper you can by the stacking ladder sections. Avoid the cheapo gorilla sticks though - they clang like crazy and are over 3' long - very hard to weave your way through the forest at 5am carrying them.

You, powerstroke and I should try to get out for an early season weekend.

I have and realy like my gorilla. But for me $$$ was an issue. I do like the lone wolfs and have sat in one before. It was nice, but a deer shot out of the gorilla is just as dead as one taged from a lone wolf and for much less cash.

There is a lot of truth here, but like everything its about its relevance. If you're the type who plans on walking a lot and pulling your stand almost everytime, than weight and size becomes a big issue.

For cheapies, I can't complain about the Rivers Edge stands. You can find them at Fleet Farm, Gander and some of the other sporting goods. I've still got one that I intend to "frankenstand" into something I can leave out all year.

Gorillas are nice and have some good ideas. The weight is getting there and they attach pretty solid.

I couldn't believe a Lone Wolf stand could cost so much, but when you see the design features that go into them, you realize what the other companies are missing.

I know its your first year bowhunting so don't feel the pressure to buy the nicest stand. A $60 RE stand will last a couple years until you get the dough saved up for something else.

Steps, I think, are a different story. I think you should get the best steps you can right now. They will go with any stand you choose and should be designed to be pretty universal. The Lone Wolf and Summit are my favorite. I say to look for ones that stack or "nest" together for easy carrying. Weight again can be important.

I am just getting into bow hunting, and all the "stuff" is depleating my play funds. I did end up getting a Summit Opehshot Delux climber. I shot right up a tree on my first attempt. It's 13 lbs (I think) and fairly affordable. I liked the "Delux" option that includes a swivel up seat to offer more standing room. My $0.02 worth. We'll see what this season holds and if I'm still liking it.