• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yellow Lab is having puppies! HELP!!!

idratherbefishing

I have only gone through one litter. All I can say is that I would highly recommend being around when the pups are being whelped. You never know what the mother will be like and should something go wrong you are right there. My Shorthair starting whelping at about 230am and ended with her last pup of nine at around 300pm. It was a long day for her(and me)! Also, I think if you are around when she is whelping she will feel a bit more at ease and safe. Good Luck!

i would start checking her temperature. When they get close it will drop about 1 degree and they may start chivering or chattering their teeth. When this happens they should start having puppies within 24hrs. i dont like to go more then 2 hours between pups but i have gone 4 hrs many times with no problems. if longer then this you should bring her in in case you have one stuck or breech. try to keep the pups at 100 degrees on a heated tray or something. I use these trays from Lovette electronics and they are the best by far

You can cut out a hole in a platform or box above the ground and mom can lay around the tray while pups in the tray. this keeps mom from being so overheated. the pups cant maintain their own body heat until atleast 3-5 days old. so this is very important. If you get one that is small or not thrieving i will lead them to a teet (squeez out some milk for the smell and taste) and try to get them to latch on many tmes a day for the first few days, if they dont thrieve after that it is your call but sometimes mothernature knows best.

GOOD LUCK!

It may be too late but i could borrow you a lovett heating tray as they cost $250 or you can borrow one of my boxs with the tray built into it if needed.