• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger Trailer

Gator Slayer

Looking at the new Ranger 620T, but they put it on a tandem axle trailer which is a bear to move. Anyone have it on a single axle trailer? The 618T is on a single and the 620 only weighs 200lbs more?? What do you think, would the bigger boat "ride" ok? Anyone doing this?

Thanks

Call Ranger and ask them, they are great at giving you answers like this over the phone. And they are willing to do customized work. Not sure about changing a tandem trailer to a single though --- most guys are going the other way with that. The single axel trailers with the high weight capacity get it all from the tires they ride on........

I've seen a fair amount of guys running 620Ts on single axle trailers. They seem to handle that boat fine.

I was in this predicament last year when I bought my Yar Craft tiller. I ended up going with the tandem trailer. Although it is harder to move around the garage, I feel the tandem trailer pulls a lot easier and is safer if I were to blow a tire. So the positives of the tandem axle outweighed the negatives for me.

I would, never run any boat above 18 ft on a single axle. Heck if I could I would take a tandem for everything. It's smoother to tow, easier on boat hull, safer in case of a blowout (and they happen often). Also the added weight of loaded boat on the tires of a single axle will increase the risk of blow out.

What's wrong with the tandem axle ?

My 18' Ranger is on a single axel and it seems fine. I don't think they'd do it if it wasn't safe. There's also a spare. ..The KEY I think, is to inspect for dry rot, especially if the tires are more than a few years old. It usually appears as cracking between the treads, and is the reason seemingly good tires blow... or should I say shread. ..If there's a tire guy here he could probably elaborate on this.