• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trapping mink or weasel?

I have what i think is a mink or weasel getting into my pigeon pen and also had something last fall kill a bunch of my rabbits in my rabbit pen. Only would eat the brains of my rabbit and left the rest. any ideas? i am dog trainer not trapper... how do i catch my killers...

well there is a trapping season on both animals you speak of, so that means you may not trap them right now. What you can do is contact the DNR and probably get an animal damage control permit to take the animal/s that are causing the problems.

Since your not a trapper i recommend after getting an ADC permit (if required) having a friend who traps trap the animals, or call and animal damage control officer to come and take care of the situation for you.

Sorry i am not current with the laws here in Minnesota as to ADC work/permits.

Once you have taken care of the legalities, go to your local hardware store and buy a few large Victor rat traps. 1)Take some light wire and tie a nice cube of fresh meat to the trigger. 2) drill a 1/8 hole just shy of the trigger wire. 3) tack the trap to the outside of your pen 10-12" off the ground with the trigger down. 4)set the trap. 5)wait.

It'll kill weasels and small mink. Larger mink it'll give them one heck of a headache. You set the trap up off the ground to get the critter to push and pull on the trigger. Otherwise they just sit there and knibble and lick on the bait. I'd keep the hounds in at night if possible or you might hear some yappin'. grin

It is a weasel, no season on them and you do not need a license to trap them right now. rat trap in a box with a hole in the end and a piece of FRESH liver in the back. May be tough as they prefer to kill their own food.

I would not rule out a opossum either. I don't know what your cages are like but they are notorius killers... Could be a weasel also. highly doubt a mink, unless you are near some marsh or streams.

I dont think a possem could get through the chicken wire and i have pretty much desimated them from land. I have a preditor trap in my johnny house and have got several possem in that. Have not seen them much latley as i think i exterminated them. They will go through the very small recall funnel for the quail but cant get out. I thought i might get weasel or mink in their but have not to date. I am going to try the Rat trap box with live rabbit in other side, maybe use wire mesh for the divider?? what you think??

should work great, not sure if its technically legal. Live bait and all.

But, it your setting a trap JUST to guard the rabbit you've already been raising for awhile,,,,, kind of a fine line, right?

I wouldn't blame you though.

Any meat (not rotting) should work.

The big attractor is the actual Hole (2") in your box. Plus this works great at keeping non target animals out of the box (dogs, cats, kids, and skunks).

Another option is if you have larger sized legholds around the house already, like 1.5 - 2's, they work just fine if you have the pan set really light. Plus if you haven't totally ruled out mink, they will hold better.

According to the rules, the rat trap constitutes a "body grip" style and can be checked every 72 hrs, and the leghold every 24 hrs. Although usually on a weasel, the larger leghold actually bodygrip anyway and kill really quick and humanely on such a small critter.

The hole size is only 1-3/4" but I think some guys drill theirs at 1-1/2". If you can believe this, I've seen a few pictures of muskrats that were taken incidentally with this setup with only a 1-3/4" hole. I wonder if you could just try putting some lure(rabbit or pheasant) and a piece of fur inside so you don't end up with the rotten meat.

I so not know much about trapping laws but hey it is my rabbit to eat or whatever i would think? I have 3/4 acre pen fenced in with chicken wire and last year i would pick up 1-2 dead rabbits a week with only the heads eaten. That kinda [PoorWordUsage] me off.