• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The ultimate lindy rig rod

JohnMickish

Know its late, and you made your choice already.. But for 'rigging purposes I have used Jason Mitchell Elite Series line of open water rods now for the past two season. The 7'6" or 7'0" are dynamite for these applications. And on bodies of water like Mille Lacs, where long snells are key, the 7'6" definately gives you the length to operate your rigs along with great sensitivity to feel transitions and the tell tale sign of bait movement and fish action.

I'm sure there are plenty of good rods that would have fit the bill, but only two companies (St. Croix and G. Loomis) that I am aware of filled my #1 requirement, being built (blank and all) in the good ol' USA. You will pay more for it but heck, I live and work here so I buy here.

I would agree with the Mitchell rods. I have used three of Jason's models and they are a fine rod.

I also own some Loomis and St Croix and its all what one is looking for in a special rod.

Many times one can find a great rod for less if they shop around and do their homework. There are some great rods out there for a fair price that don't break the bank.

Again, you made a good choice, and I agree about purchasing Products from the good Ol' USA. You still need to check out the Steelhead blank sometime, or next time you go to Thorne Bros. ask Lonnie about it.

Here's an update. I recently recieved my dividend check (aka rabbit money) from my last job so I went out and purchased the HSR 9000 too so I could do my own head to head test and this is what I came up with on my last trip to Lake Vermilion.

First off, I don't consider myself a "world class lindy rig guy" which is why I went with this class of rod, and the two guys I fish with are probably better than me in this style of fishing. Well, I out fished them probably 3-1 but for what it's worth I usually run the boat but we didn't take my boat this year (took my buddies new Ranger 619 instead) so I got to sit in the back and fish.

I picked up more fish with the St. Croix but that could have just been the situations I used it in and not anything else.

I got more snags with the Loomis but again, it could have been the situations I was in.

I think the Loomis gives a bit more feel but thats not always a good thing if there is a rocky bottom or if you happen to touch some weeds, hence the possibility of more snags.

Both rods give unbelievable hooksets and let you control the fish. I picked up a 33" northern with the St. Croix and it had no problem handling that.

So in the end you can't go wrong with either of these two. Both my buddies used them and though they where the cats meow for lindy fishing. If I had to only pick one I'd say it's like picking the winner out of a Hooters bikini contest, there really isn't a looser in the group, just pick the one that tickles your fancy the most.

Ya you surely have 2 very good lindy rods. What line did you put on? I like a Power Pro to Floro set up. I can feel way more than I can with any mono. Plus I tend to use a bit heavier weight than some. I think being too far back behind the boat increases snags a lot. I like a 45 degree angle on my lindy rigs. I also like the lindy no snag sinkers. Most of the time your fishing deep enough where being directly under the boat with your baits is fine. No boats spooking in most situations.

Nice rods Mnfishinguy. I own the 6'6 m IMX. I find it gets me into a lot of snags because it's so friking sensitive. I set my hook almost everytime cause that bass fishermen instinct kicks in when you feel things like you do with that rod. I feel the sinker scraping on the sand bottom with it..and when it hits a small rock..feels like a bite, and usual my minnow's mouth is whats left of the bait. I guess just fish it a lot and it'll dawn on ya whats a bite and whats a small twig or rock. Right now I'm trying to decide either on a smoothie or the st.croix avid for my lindy rigs. hehehe can't afford another imx.