• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cold feet

coldtoes

I've been ice fishing on and off for over 40 years. I have NEVER been able to keep my feet warm. I've tried mickey mouse boots and others - electric socks - polyprop
socks - foam pads under my feet etc. I know I sounds like I'm whinnig, but after about 3 hours I can't feel my toes. Any ideas.

Last year I discovered those air activated adhesive toe warmers! They stick to your sock under the front of your foot. They seem to work for about 5 hours or so. I really only use em' in really cold weather (like we've been having lately). You can get em for about a buck for a set (2 one for each foot), or cheaper when on sale. I've seen a few brands. I usually am skeptical about gimmicks, but these work.

[This message has been edited by Twigfishers (edited 01-24-2004).]

Polypropolene socks, good quality 100% pure wool socks, and Mickymouse boots is about as good as it gets, my friend. If the chemical heat packs don't help (and they ARE amazing) the perhaps you should consider seeing a doctor about circulation issues.

Get yourself a pair of Smartwool Extreme Hunting socks.They are pricey but worth it. I got mine at Gander Mtn for $16.99. DO NOT wear any cotton socks next to your feet! They don't wick the moisture away and make your feet get cold sooner. Use an all nylon sock or for real luxury,get a pair of all silk socks like they have on Sportsmen's Guide. I put a pair ragg wool socks on over all this, then my LaCrosse Ice Kings,and I'm good to go. You might also want to use the disposable toe heaters some of the other guy's mentioned. My feet got cold real easy too until I did all this.

------------------
YOU CAN'T talk AN OLD talk'ER!

Just sprinkle a pinch of cayun pepper in your socks(dont over do it!) feet will be toasty all day the pepper irritates your skin sending blood to the feet hence warm feet or get some icemans or kings then you don't need the pepper.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

If you get yourself a good pair of pack boots like Ice Kings, or my favorite Cabalas new predator boot, then put a toe warmer in each boot, in the predator boot they have a small pocket under the toes just for them.
Seriously you can forget all the other fancy shmansy socks, and gimicks, your feet wont get cold.

You need to make sure your socks and boots aren't too tight - you need to be able to wiggle your toes in your socks, and your foot should slide around A LITTLE in your boots. Also, the top of your socks should not be so tight that they limit the circulation to your feet. You need blood flow and air space to stay warm.

Another thing to avoid is sweaty feet, especially in boots that don't breathe. That's a guaranteed way to get cold quick.

This may sound strange to some, but it works. Bring along extra socks, extra liners, and maybe even an extra pair of boots. Change when your feet get cold. It really makes a difference. It will make a huge difference if sweaty feet are your problem.

If all else fails - walk around. Get the blood flowing again. Better to do this before your feet get frozen.

Good luck, hope some of this helps.

I knew I couldn't be the only one with this issue. Some good ideas. I have never seen the air activated adhesive toe warmers in stores. Where should I look.
I'm to CUB tonight to get some cajun powder. I'll be field testing tomorrow near Spray Island. If that doesn't work I'll hit Gander on the way home. Thanks to all.

I hope you got CAYENNE powder, 'toes. It's the chemical capsacin that irritates that a guy wants if they want to try this. You can buy creams for arthritis with pure capsacin in it, too. It is VERY effective at heating you up!

I use them for my feet now and then, but the first time I used it was before a winter campout, and I didn't understand the effect it would have, and boy, I was pleasantly surprised. smile.gif

But if you put too much on, as soon as you start moving a lot again, it heats up unbearably, and lasts for days, gets stuck in your skin - go easy on it! smile.gif

Boots at least 1 size bigger than usual, polyprop liner sock and smart wool socks. Also a good boot is a must. I love the Lacrosse Ice Kings. My feet never get cold with this system. Make sure at the end of the day you dry out your boots and liners. A boot dryer works excellent.

My feet were always something I did not make as a priority, and that was a mistake. I wore these very tight old columbia boots for a long time, and even with wool socks they would freeze(I believe I got mildly frostbit 1 or 2 times). I finally came around, and got some lacrosse boots on sale, one size to big, and it makes all the difference. Deer season, ice fishing, it doesnt matter, my feet are almost always warm these days. Also get some waterproofing stuff so the water that comes out of your hole when you pop em wont get on your feet. Good luck

I have ALWAYS had problems with my feet freezing. Frostbit them 4 or 5 times and each time it happens it gets worse. I finally got a pair of pack boots good down to -80 degrees and it changed my life. No more frozen feet while deer hunting or ice fishing! The trouble is, when duck hunting or steelhead fishing I wear neoprene waders and Chota wading boots. I have frozen my feet while standing in a cold trout stream when the air temp was over 80 degrees! So I need a heat solution that I can wear inside my stockingfoot waders. I am going to try the Cayenne Pepper, it's already my favourite food seasoning so I have plenty around. If it works I will owe all you guys big-time.

BTW when I freeze my feet while steelhead fishing I just get up and run. It looks weird to see a steelheader running around in a pair of neoprenes but a quick 10 minute run up the riverbank and your feet will be toasty warm. NOTE: be careful doing this on the Brule or you could hit a patch of clay and wind up falling in head-first.

WELL! - I MAY HAVE TO CHANGE MY HANDLE.

I WENT OUT TODAY WITH THE GOOD WOOL SOCKS AND THE POLY-PROPS NEXT TO MY FEET. I FELT EM GETTING COLD AFTER AN HOUR AND A HALF - TOOK OFF THE BOOTS AND SOCKS AND DROPPED SOME OF THE RED PEPPER IN MY SOCKS
RE - BOOTED AND WENT ANOTHER 3 HOURS. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I CAN GO AGAIN. THANKS F.W. FOR THE TIP AND THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS.
BY THE WAY EVEN WITH THE SCREWING AROUND I MANAGED A SUNNY LIMIT AND 2 NICE CRAPPIES.
THANKS AGAIN.