• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

liriano up Hernadez out -- Ruiz up Monroe out

Dahitman44

I think we all saw the Hernadez deal coming but the Monroe one surporises me. He was pretty good two years ago and is still "youngish" but .208 with 8 bombs and 25 rbis? Come on ---

Now if we can dump "Chris" Everett.

From the STrib HSOforum --A DH and first baseman, Ruiz needs to be added to the 40-man roster, but he is batting .320 with 17 home runs and 68 RBI for the Red Wings.

No matter how you slice it -- Ruiz has some power from the right side.

I liked Ruiz in spring traing, that guy never got a chance in his whole career. I hope he takes advantage of this situation. I was supprised nobody took him off of waivers.

About time. Liriano's gotta be better than Livan. Was never impressed with Monroe so good to see him go. Hopefully Ruiz will pound the snot out of the ball and help keep us in contention to win the Central.

I know a lot of people are mad that they didn't make a trade, but they will be forced to aquire some premier players in a year or two. I don't think Morneau and Mauer will stick around if we don't build a championship caliber team around them within the next few years. And I really think the organization wants to keep these guys here for their entire careers. If not, we can take the Pohlad's out back and give 'em the old yeller treatment.

I read today that Liriano's FB is not as good as it should be and he does not have much movement -- at least not what he did -- will be interesting to see what he can do ...

Does it matter if there is no movement at 98mph?

actually it does -- there have been a ton of guys that could throw had and had no movement and the better teams and players caught up to it and crushed him.

Let's hope that does not happen to our guy ...

No matter how hard you can throw a ball, if it doesn't move, someone will catch it. How much differnce is there is a 93 MPH fast ball and a 98? Movement on a "straight" pitch is what makes great pitchers. After his surgery things are going to be differnt, if he can work around them and still devlop his pitches he will be fine.

I agree on the movement piece but I think a bigger factor is change of speed. The reports are that Liriano's change-up is really good right now. Keep in mind his change up is 82 MPH. About the equivalent of a Hernandez fast ball. Having hitters guessing if he is throwing a change-up up or fastball SHOULD be a strength for Liriano. He will also throw his nasty slider as an out pitch. From the sounds of it the slider only comes out occasionally. In any case he will be an upgrade over Livan.

Major league hitters aren't up there "guessing" what's coming next, you expect a fastball every pitch, you react when they throw a breaking ball or change up. Doing it any other way leaves you way behind on a fastball and hardly ever right about the pitch.

Im pleased

I am as well. Livan is one of the worst pitchers in MLB. Cutting him was way overdue. Plus now we will get to see if Francisco has got his command back. With him in our rotation we have a great young 5 man rotation to go forward with.

Ruiz is another story though...

I understand Liriano's slider is not where it was before the elbow problems. The question is can he get by on two very good pitches? The answer is yes, but he will have to have command of his change up, otherwise it will eventually be batting practice even if he throws 100 mph.

Hopefully he can locate his fastball and change speeds a little.

I am excited to see how he does.