• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fireline, bobber stops slide

parttimer

I was wondering if anyone has a fix for bobber stop knots sliding on my fireline? I have to tighten the knots every time I bring up the line. I don't have a depth finder/sonar to see where my jig is everytime I drop the line, so my only way of knowing is to attach my lead weight/depth finder every time I drop, but when I reel up is when it moves. Either way I'm never sure that I am at the right depth.

Any info appreciated.
Thanks

they sell those plastic bobber stops where you put the line in one hole twist it around the stem twice and put it through the other hole. Those are the only one that i have found that dont slip on fireline.

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

Parttimer: Try the wide dental tape, dental floss, and loop it around the line twice and tie a double looped square knot. Leave a little extra when you trim the knot, The 1/4 inch of floss acts like wings when you jig. I set the knot to 6 inches below the water line after I have located the bottom for depth. The wax on the floss keeps it in place.... Kaz

do you really need fireline? On tip-ups I could see it but to jig don't you want to be as stealth as possible? unless you are jigging lakers or eyes in deep h2o I dont understand why the fireline?

------------------

I use fireline too. I leave a little extra hang off to tighten with hemostats or needlenose pliers. As far a why I use fireline when jigging for crappies and walleye is the lake I fish, I tie into a northern once in a while and they don't cut the fireline. also the fireline ice line in a 2 or 4 lb test stays pretty limber and even with a real light jig it still drops ok.
My 2 cents
Andy

Cisco Kid your right we are aiming for stealthness. Fireline for example there 6 lbs line has a line diameter of 2 lb test. For 8lb 3 lb diameter. Then ther is power pro which is better than fireline becasue with extended use it doesn't fray line fireline does. But both of them will not coil line mono and there is much better sensitivity in it as well expecially if you are in deep water. The best bobber stops that I have found are the plastic type that you put the line in the hole and what I have found to work best is to make two wraps around the plastic that will hold it tight but all you to still move it and then put it in the other hole. I have used the string thing that was mentioned and it will work but it takes to long to set up for me.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

ok maybe I am nuts but I use a small plastic bead. I look for the smallest diameter bead I can find at an arts and crafts store. Then run my line through it once, then come back again through the bead. Sure it is a pain if I fish different lakes with big differences in depth. To move the bead slack up the line so there is a loop around the bead and slide it. Keep doing that til you get to the desired depth you need. The reason for the smallest diameter bead is so it will go through the eyes of the rod. It's cheap, and it works.

iffwalleyes I have never noticed power pro line. Who makes it? Is it spendy like fireline? Would love to try it. woodyjdh I like your idea of a small bead, say like ones that comes with slip bobbers setups?

------------------

Exactly! I am not sure of the size I use as I don't have them handy at the moment. But the smallest ones I can find. I came across this trick a couple of years ago at LOW when I couldn't find my normal stops. The only trick is take your time, and give it alot of slack when adjusting the location of the bead. Otherwise you end up snarling up the line. I also use this on my tip ups as a mark to see how much line the fish has pulled out once the flag has popped up. Small bobbers work great, but this offers less resistance for the fussy fish. Normally I use these beads to make my own "little joes" for summer fishing.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try some of these methods to see which I like. My problem is that I am always fishing different depths. As to why I use fireline, I like the fact that there is little to no memory in the line. I also like the sensitivity. Maybe it's just me. I am much happier using fireline than mono. I always had the problem with mono having all the line come off the spool, fireline doesn't do that.

10/4 I never would have thought that fireline was that sensitive but understand the low mem for surer sets. Will try a set up of this on my next outing. Never stop experimenting and learning, right!!!

------------------

Cisco - Power Pro is made by "Innovative Textiles" and is sold at Cabela's among others. Yes it is spendy - probably even a little more than Fireline.

The diameter on their 10 lb. test is between 2 & 4 lb. mono according to the label on a 1500 lb. spool I have in front of me. I believe they also make a 6 lb test that's equivalent to 1 lb. mono.

Good stuff if you like superbraids!

Yes they are right Cisco power pro is more expensive than mono. I think the 150 yd spools were like 12-14 bucks. They have redesigned their line this past year so that now there 1 lb diameter line is 8 lb test and 2 lb diameter is 10 lb. It is more expensive but way worth it.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

No matter what ya do your stops will come loose or be cut off by Fireline or Power Pro. Dont use it with a bobber, go to mono. You dont need sensitivity with a bobber! Plus you will save a ton of $. If you just need a mark for bottom try some Liquid Paper. Rubs off after a while but will soak into the line but you can usually rub it off at end of the day.

I use 8/1 lb power pro for ice fishing and love it.
For the bobber stop I just put on 2 of them. And also every time I catch a fish I will tighten the stop up with my hands so it doesn't slide. So don't trim the one stop really close to the knot so you can still tighten it again.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

I have used fireline and power pro both the last couple years and I have never had one of those dog bone break off and the slide much more diffecult than others. Even if it is my bobber line which I don't use cause of my rock n reels I like to have the same sensitivty one all of my set ups so that I can pick the line up and feel the fish you definatly loose that with mono. I know what I used to feel for my first 20 years of ice fishing with mono. I know that the last couple using fireline or power pro I catch more and miss less. So do what you want take Northlands advice but I know what has worked for me.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I have some great tie knots that I haven't had a problem with using Fireline. I have slid my knot form 33' of water to 15' without the knot slipping after that. Like someone said up above "leave a little extra line on the knot so you can retighten them up if you have a problem. I sell the Tie Knots with my Ice Buster Bobbers. I use Fireline up at LOW. I love the sensitivity and don't have to be worried about getting bit off like mono. You don't need the stealth in LOW.

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

I agree with Northlander. There is no good reason to use Fireline on any bobber rig. It doesn't matter what you say about diameter vs tensile strength, you (I can't speak for the fish) can see 4 pound diameter fireline easier easier that 10 lb. test mono. This goes for all non-opaic lines.

I love fireline for some apps but bobber fishing is not one of them.

I personally think the super lines have an advantage over mono in the deeper water because of the no stretch and no memory you can detect even the lightest bite.I still like to add a short mono leader on the end esspecially in clearer water.

I have 4 rods, 1 Gander Mtn. Guide Series Pro Walleye and one of the same kind for crappies. Also use 2 Berkley lightnig rods. I have 8lb. Power pro on the Walleye rod and only use this for jigging pimples and the like. I havent been having much luck with the pimple this year so this last weekend I put a slip bobber on it.....what a nightmare. Power Pro does not come off the reel nice with a bobber stop on it no matter how short or long you cut the strands. The pimple is back on there now. On the crappie rod I use 2lb. Micro Ice and on the Lightning Rods I use 6lb. mono, with slip bobbers on all 3. Other than the bobber factor, Power Pro is the best line I've ever used on any of my equipment. I'll never use any other kind for my jigging rod untill something better comes out.

Almost forgot, I put the rest of what I had left of the Power Pro on my Tip ups. Iced a 1.5 lb. Crappie and a 2.5 lb. walleye last Friday on the Tip-up. The walleye snapped the line at the hole, but he snapped the mono leader I had on. Still got him though, he gave me a pretty nice cut on the back of my had from his gills but still got him.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 01-26-2004).]