• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PRO'S & CON'S

mnhunter79

This one will go back and forth, but, typically glass will ride smoother and drier. Space is sometimes sacrificed though (wider gunnels). In all reality, there is no clear cut "glass vs tin" winner. It comes down to personal preference. I'd prefer a glass boat myself.

I've always had metal boats, but then I live in northern MN and the lakes have lots of rocks. I also do a fair amount of boat camping and the boat has to go against the shoreline which sometimes has a rocky landing spot. I don't think a glass boat would hold up in the long run for my usage. my 2 cents

I agree... I drive a Pro V and I love it. It rides nice and it suits my needs (don't worry about rocks... as much). I have friends that have glass boats and some ride better or as nice (Rangers and Warriors ... haven't rode in most others). However, a buddy does have a champion... nice boat... worse ride I have ever been in. If you are not concerned about rocks, the Warrior is a great boat.

I switched from aluminum to fiberglass 4 years ago and am still wondering why I waited so long to do it. Love the dry smooth ride I get with glass.

There's a lot of good boats out there, aluminum and glass ..... warrior is one of them. Good luck with your decision.

I just purchased a YarCraft 1895 Storm with a Merc Optimax 135 tiller. I mainly fish big water, Mille Lacs, Gull.

I had it out last Sat. and I just love it!!!! You do not take the hard pounding when in rough water compared to aluminum. I had a 185 Alumacraft before. I liked the boat. No comparison between the two.

I have more fishing room in the YarCraft.

You can put on a keel shield to protect the front end. Cost under $200.00

I guess it all comes down to what types of water you fish. If it's smaller lakes, you can stay with aluminum,. Bigger water, glass for sure.

Let us know what you do.

"once you go glass, you will never want anything else".

Are you serious? I've had glass boats and metal boats. My ranger (bass boat) was no comparison to my Lund I now own. My vote goes to metal.

This is not to say that a glass boat is not good. But they are SOOO heavy, its no wonder they ride nice.

Just my opinion

Heavy?..... my alumacraft, on NADA shows it weighs 1290 lbs., and the warrior is under 1000 lbs. both 16 foot. I thought they were alot hevier too, guess not. unless the NADA is wrong. (JUst what i read).

I was going to post the same thing as hhguide. Comparing a bass boat to a pro v is apples and oranges, the hulls are so different. Compare the pro v to a glass boat that is a deep v or modified v and then see how they stack up.

Also, the weight in aluminum and glass boats is really comparable now, essentially the same. I think that happened when they stopped using wood in fiberglass boats.

I think that they both have good points to offer. I always thought glass was heavier and that was the difference in the ride. I know that by bro in law has a 18V that is 400-500 lbs heavier than my 17 ft Angler and the smoothness of the ride is obvious. I have heard some talk about the strength of the hulls, transoms and such of the glass over time but do not know if this is a true issue. I love my metal and will stick with it!!

I personally do not think it is all a weight issue. I had a 22.5' crestliner before the 20.5' warrior I own now and the ride is MUCH better on my warrior and that is giving up over 1000 lbs. I think it has more to do with hull design than anything else. You can do so much more with fiberglass than aluminum in hull design. I personally am sold on glass and I never want to go back to that hard slap of alum. My back thanks me every time I am in rough water.