• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats the best portable shanty for under $250

bigminnow

I got the wife's ok to pick up a single or double shanty for $250 ior less. Can you make any recommendations? She saw how frozen I was after I got home the other day when it was -0 and I was out in the open freesing my a$$ off. I did find the crappies though!!

I picked up an Eskimo Quickflip II for about that much, and I'm more pleased with it every time I use it. Got it at Fleet Farm. It's light enough for one man to haul and load, but two guys can fish in it and you can also stand up in it. I also have a Clam 5600, but I let my youngest son use it since I got the Eskimo.

Just a thought. Cabelas has a 5x7 portable kit for sale and only $120. You have to do some work, but it might be worth it. I am going down there to look at it today. I'll let you know if it is any good.

bigminnow-I have a Glacier III and it's an excellent portable. Not sure what one costs new now, but I think you can get a more reasonably priced portable from Glacier.

------------------
YOU CAN'T talk AN OLD talk'ER!

[Note from Rick: You can see the Glacier by CLICKING HERE

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 01-25-2004).]

It's fun to be shopping. I'd recommend a sled/flip style house over a suitcase style house -- I've had a couple of each, and like the mobility and ease of use with the flip style. I'd recommend a house the size of the Fish Trap Guide or Otter Cabin -- very roomy for 1 person, big enough to fish 2 adults, not so big that they're too hard to heat on the coldest and windiest days.

If you're not set on getting a brand new house, there should be some decent deals on used houses. And as long as the cover, poles, hinges, sled, floor etc. are OK, there's not much else to worry about.

If you are buying new, I agree with the others that say Fleet Farm has the best pricing, with the possible exception of end of year clearance sales. Good luck with your purchase!

[This message has been edited by PerchJerker (edited 01-24-2004).]

I bought One of the Cabela's Portable's about 4 years ago and it works great. did a couple of modifications to it to make it easier to transport on ice and keep it warmer. Would recomend it to anyone looking for a cheap easy to use portable.

L&M Fleet Supply has Eskimo Quickflip III's for $239. They have stores located throughout MN, just do a web search for them and call their stores to see what is available. For the price, you won't find a bigger or better flip over style house. I, and everone who has fished in mine, think its a great house, as it is. You won't be disappointed.

Fisherdog