• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1988 bass tracker changing motors

Hello I have a 1988 bass tracker and it has a 45hp mariner on the it right now and with 2 people and all the gear it will go about 26-28 mph and Im looking at getting a 1988 johnson 70hp vro motor and was woundering how much faster will it go? are those good motors? Its supposed to be rebuilt and runs strong thanks SRK

How much faster? Maybe 32 mph at WOT?

Are they good motors.. well, in my opinion anyway, the 60-70 hp johnson 3 cylinders motors weren't the greatest motor. The main problem they suffered from was the water intake into the block being to low (I think it was too low if I remember right) and burning up a cylinder. The VRO system in that year wasn't too bad, and hopefully if the motor's been rebuilt they put a new VRO pump on it.

I would ask why it was rebuilt. If they don't have an answer I would be inclined to shy away from this motor - it could mean they don't know why, but rebuilt it, which means it could be succeptible to the same problem.

You do understand that you'll have to spend some money to re-rig the boat with OMC controls, right? You won't be able to connect the merc controls to the Johnson motor.

marine_man