• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ribs and a big 'ol butt!

lol....I have some family coming down from Iowa to visit. I threw a 7lb pork butt on the smoker this morning....and probably Saturday or Sunday will smoke up some pork spare ribs. Pics to follow of course!

Supper will be about 6pm (pork sammiches with homemade BBQ sauce) smile

MMM smoked Carolina style pork sammies with BBQ and slaw on top!

In my best Homer Simpson "MMMMM AHHHHHHHGGGGG"....

Have a great dinner... your guest are lucky folks!

Good Luck!

Ken

I had every intention of getting these pictures on here earlier...just didn't happen. The pork butt was awesome! The homemade bbq sauce topped it off perfectly!

Pork Spares are going on in 2 hours!!!!! Pics to follow. smile

Pictures24007.jpg

Pictures24010.jpg

Pictures24011.jpg

Doop:

Iam new to using a smoker. Can you give me the details in cooking your boston butt such as time, temp and seasoning. Also will give out your sauce reciepe? How do you cook your ribs (seasoning and time, temp) Thanks

Husker...not a problem. I'd be glad to help out a fellow Big Red fan. smile

Let me get everything together and I'll post it all on here in a day or two.

On a side note...I mixed the baked beans with my homemade BBQ sauce and WOW...what a great combination.

Here ya go Husker:

MY OWN BBQ SAUCE

I developed this recipe to complete the cooking of my BBQ Brisket and to serve for those who believe you just can't eat BBQ without sauce on it. The fact is, people should first try any meat dish without any BBQ sauce on it because they may be covering up the best meat they have ever eaten. Restaurants use the sauce for the purpose of covering up their meat because they have either boiled the meat first (it leaves it a gray color) or it just is not as good as the BBQ you are going to cook following these recipes..

TIP: If someone asked for sauce, serve it on the side. Tell them to try the meat without the sauce first and explain to them they probable have never had any meat with this great of flavor and they shouldn't automatically cover it up with sauce.

What you need.

1-24 oz. Bottle of ketchup

1-18 oz bottle of BBQ sauce (I use Wal-Mart brand in Honey style)

1-small can of Mexican style Rotel (or use 1 cup of any salsa)

1-medium onion chopped

2-tablespoons of minced garlic

2-cups of brown sugar

½ cup of TEXAS BBQ RUB (you can add more if you want more spice)

½ cup of pineapple juice (you can use orange)(I also use crushed pinapple)

2 tbls of worcestershire sauce

2 tbls of mustard (yellow prepared)

approx. 2 bottles of water from the empty ketchup bottle

1 can water from empty Rotel can

1 bottle of water from the empty BBQ sauce bottle

This recipe makes about 4 quarts of BBQ sauce. You will use some of it to finish off the brisket and the other to serve to folks if they want it. It keeps for days in the frig if you don't use all of it.

Mix ketchup, BBQ sauce, Rotel, and garlic in a large pot. Start cooking on the stove at medium temp. Add the water (you will get out all of the extra sauce from the bottles this way). Stir in garlic and brown sugar. Stir in the rub. Add the chopped onion, worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Bring sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add pineapple juice. Let simmer for at least 1 hour (longer is better). I usually simmer mine for about 2 hours.

This recipe calls for quite a bit of water added to it...I cut way back on the amount of water I used the 2nd time I made this sauce and I was much happier with the consistency. I would recommend cutting back on the water added.

As far as the ribs go....very easy. Use whatever rub you would like. Remove your ribs from their package. Remove the membrane on the non-meaty side. (some don't do this...it's not really necessary but I do it anyway) Pat ribs dry with paper towels and get a corner started on the membrane...pull with paper towel. Should come off easily with a paper towel.

Rub ribs in worchester sauce and then coat with whatever rub you want to use. Place on a smoker. Try to hold your temp between 200-225. For the first 3 hours just keep an eye on your temperature. At the 3 hour mark, wrap your ribs in aluminum foil and back in the smoker for 2 more hours. At the 2 hour mark remove from the foil and place back in the smoker for 1 hour. I also rub a little of my BBQ sauce on the ribs during that 1 hour period. Remove and belly up to the table! smile

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask...glad to help!

Thanks for the receipe and tips to cook ribs. But have two questions:

Texas BBQ rub? do you make your own seasoning or buy it?

Give me your tips for cooking a Boston Butt.

Maybe a "northern" can learn how to BBQ.

Can not want to try sauce.

If you google "Texas BBQ Rub" click on the first link and go to "order" on the far left....you will see the rubs. Hands down the best i've ever used. I even use the stuff on my scrambled eggs in the morning! Unbelievably good. A guy that lives near Houston makes it. I'm sold...that's all I know! smile

Here is what I do for my Pork Butt's/shoulders:

You need to cook the shoulder at 200 to 225 degrees for at least 6 to 14 hours depending on the size of the roast you are cooking. Again, as with brisket cooking the idea is to cook at low temperatures for long periods of time until we get the internal temperature of the shoulder up to about 200 to 210 degrees internal temperature.

I personally wrap this piece of meat during cooking (about 2/3 of the way thru the cook) but if you want to you do not have to wrap it.

I use the Simple 1-2-3 method of applying Worcestershire sauce and then Texas BBQ Rub and place on the pit. Coat heavily with Texas BBQ Rub (you can use the original rub or our brisket blend). Two or three big hand fulls will give you the amount of rub you will need. If you have a side with more fat on it than the other you can put the fat side up. But this piece of meat has a lot of fat internally so it will stay moist under low temperatures.

When you finish the shoulder you can pull the meat off the bone (if it is cooked right you can simply pull the bone from the middle of the shoulder and just have the meat left to chop or shred) or you can shred the meat or cut it up and make a chopped pork butt sandwich. This meat is excellent for sandwiches or just eating plain. Alot of folks like to add a BBQ sauce to the pulled pork and you can use the recipe we gave to you earlier to add to the pulled pork.

TIP: For a bit of added flavor to the meat, sprinkle Texas BBQ Rub over the pulled pork and enjoy the added flavor that Texas BBQ Rub brings to the meat.

I gave some of the BBQ sauce to my neighbor along with some brisket I smoked....his wife said he put some sauce in a bowl and was eating it like soup he liked it so much! LOL

It really is good....enjoy!

There is a site devoted to the Weber smoky mountain. google for "weber bullet" and you should be able to find it. It has many fine recipes and detailed instructions.

Many folks cook butts overnight.