• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Working the shoreline

Craig Plummer

Besides fishing docks what does everyone look for when working the shallows, also what types of presentations seem to be your favorites? I've currently been finding some luck throwing a Jig & Trailer and working it back near fallen trees and changes in vegetation, many times in as little as 1-3ft of water. Since im still learning I'd like to expand as an angler...

Lets hear the opinions, Thanks!

CP

Working shallow up near the shore I look mainly for changes in bottom content. If I can find some gravel or rocks, I concentrate on that area for a while. Wood works, but I have found that stumps and logs work better than thin branches for holding bigger fish. Sand is another favorite, just finding the edges and pockets of different bottom content will help locate fish the quickest in shallow water. At this time of the year, the inside weedline on a lot of lakes disappears and the weeds grow right up to the bank. Spinner baits, senko/comida, shallow cranks, frogs if it is sloppy, t-rigged worms and salamanders all are fair game shallow to me.

Fish it all!!!!!! Spray and pray!!!!!

J/K

realy though, it all depends on the lake, some lakes are flipping/pitching to floating bog, reed beds, changes from one weed to another, pads, busting mats, it goes on and on and on.

Some fish spend a lot of time shallow. The water is warm up there, so they need to eat. Often times they are always active. Just fish it, you will find something.

Hit three bass lakes in the last two days. I'm usually a walleye fisherman so it was a change of pace. We thew buzzbaits along shorelines and did well. Shoreline with more than one type of cover in the same area all did well for us. Topwater can be awesome and this is the ime of year we do better with them.