• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

my shimano core baitcaster...need help with brakes

Katman

I'm trying to get more information about the brake system built into the shimano core baitcaster reels. I don't quite understand the function and abilities of the brakes and why you click them on or off. Could someone with exp with this reel explain more to me why you would adjust the brakes and the differences achieved from doing so. There is nothing wrong with the reel...I just want to know more about the functions of the brake system they have. Thank you ahead of time.

LOL @ you guys!! just got back from the twins game.

Shimano uses a centrifugal force system.. the faster the spool spins the more pressure on whatever pegs you have pulled out. There are 6 available. The more you have out the more resistance there is on the spool at its max speed. Thus also the shorter the cast. This all depends on the rod you are using, the weight of the lure and ones own personal casting style.

Keep in mind, if I were to set up a reel perfectly for myself, and handed it to you, you could backlash it with no problem.. and I the same with yours.. You need to set it up for your own casting style...

I myself tend to run mine with very few brakes/pegs, and very little clutch, but I also use a lot of thumb!

My advice to you(I have 2 core reels and love them to DEATH!!!!).. start with more than enough breaks, and then work on taking them off...

On a side note.. to maybe help out.. What rod do you have this Core on, what line are you using, and what lure are you trying to cast?

start with more than enough breaks, and then work on taking them off...

This is what I did with my citica which has a similar breaking system and Ive now found the setting I am comfortable with and am very pleased with it.

Ill add that its best to keep it balanced by pushing out 0, 2, 4, or all the pins you could also do 3. Example, if you want two pins engaged push out two pins directly across from each other, when doing three skip every other.

the cast control knob near the handle should be set so that when your lure is near the rod tip and the spool is engaged it falls without any help but the spool stops without much over run when the lure hit the ground. Although like deitz said its all preference as I prefer to have this knob set much looser than what is recomended.Everytime you switch lures you should tweak this knob a little to adjust to the new lure weight.

I use the core with my medium heavy 6'8 shimano cumara rod. I mainly use this for bottom bouncing. I also use 20lb powerpro braid on the line. I believe I have 2 brakes on right now and to me...it just seems like there is not much distance in my cast. Last night...I tried 0 brakes. Feels a bit better for me. But what I wanted to know was how each brake engaged affects my cast. From what I got...the more brakes you have on, the more pressure the system has...resulting in a shorter cast. I run my control knob pretty light as well. I also think the braid also gives me a bit of a shorter distance over mono.

Thanks Deitz! I have two of them and I love them! Great rods with great warranties! I guess the main thing to do is to get out there and just play with the brakes. I will probably also try some quality mono on there. I'm sure this will change things up a bit on feel and distance.

This got me curious and I had to try some really ugly messed up 14# Fireline Crystal on the Mentanium MG7 (Japanese Core), just came in the mail yesterday. I had a 1/4 oz on it. Something that typically give's me trouble casting and for odd reason it casted wonderfully as good as any open face spinning reel. I had two peg weights out, as normal for myself.

This weekend, will try to catch some fish on it...