• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baiting a Glow Devil

irishjigs

I recently got a card of these, and this may be a stupid question but...how do some people on this forum tip the jig? I have used just minnow heads, or waxies for perch. Has anyone tried hooking a full minnow through the head or on the back of the dorsal fin so it swims horizontal? Any advice is appreciated.

The biggest walleye I've caught in my life came about a month ago on a glow angel eye jr. with a whole fathead up at LOTW. I hooked on of the treble hooks through the back by the dorsal. You don't get the perfect "flutter" when you jig this with a whole minnow like you would if you had just tipped it with the head. But I just do the raise and lower jig method with some slight twitches involved too.
Good Luck!

bobb-o

Nearly all my spoons have had the trebles removed and set up with one hook. I haven't changed the hooks on my go devils yet.

I am waiting for an order of smaller split rings to put on my go-devils. And will be going with smaller single hooks on my 1/16th oz devils. Probably switch half of the 1/8thers to single hooks and the other half keep with trebles since I have two of each color.

does anyone else remove the trebles and just put a plain hook on their jigging spoons? I dont feel i get that much more of a hook up percentage while using trebles, but got tired of the extra trebles snagging on the edge of the hole and costing me fish.

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

I've been using the 1/8th oz.Go Devils on eyes and crappies this winter. I really like the flutter of that weight. Last night I was fishing a lake were the crappies and eyes use the same depth and area. For this mixed bag type fishing the Go Devil is very effective. I tip the treble with a chub head or tail.

Every eye and crappie I've gotten had the treble hooked solidly in the roof of their mouth so snagging the bottom of the hole hasn't been an issue.

On my dead line last night I used the Angle eye Jr with the minnow hooked at the dorsal. This also payed off and will be something I do more often, up till then I only used the AE to jig with.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I was just about to post a similar topic about baiting verticle jigs. Yesterday was my first day out on the ice since I was a kid. Wasn't having any luck with larger baits and jigs so the big fish weren't interested, and only one flag on a shiner we had set out. Switched to a really small jighead and some colored larvae and the crappies and sunnies started hitting. Even a gutsy little fingerling eye came up for a little fun.

Was gonna try and hit up Linwood tonight, but had a last min cancellation so I'd have to solo it. Doubt that'll happen.

Just ordered myself a card of 1/8th and 1/16th oz Go Devils since Santa didn't get the hint. Hey, at least he hooked me up with a Thorne Bros. rod and a handheld GPS so I can't complain at all. It just makes the wait that much longer. COME ON GO DEVILS!

Match

Matchman- Santa hooked you up w/ a Thorne Bros. rod! Awesome! Apparently the same Santa didn't visit my place.

When I'm using a Go-Devil or any jigging spoon for that matter, I'll use a minnow head hooked on one of the hooks of the treble. This is when I'm actively jigging it.

I also like to deadstick a jigging spoon at time and I'll use a live minnow barely hooked in front of the dorsal fin. Sometimes the minnow struggling against the spoon is enough action to get a bite.

Have you ever tried using a nail clipper to remove the top tail fin? The constant struggle to swim also makes for a good constant action for minnow hookups. I like to hook them in front of the dorsal fin.