• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bullheads....ugh

Ryan Becklund

Why is it when you need them you can't find them and when you don't they are almost jumping on to the shore for you? Last weekend I tried about a half-a-dozen spots and caught only one about 4" long. I actually had to BUY a bullhead to use for catfishing. I am sorry but there is something wrong with buying bullheads, lol. Ok I am done ranting. Anyone else have the same luck as me?

Yes, my hole got raided by another, and is down to just little ones. I have been in search of more almost every night. I think I have spent as much time getting bait, as I have fishing!

You know, of all the species talked about on this forum I choose to spend my time reading the catfish posts because they are the most interesting, provide the best/entertaining trip reports and I never get tired of looking at the photos & videos.

I don't get out anywhere near as much as you guys do and you probably have more cat fishing knowledge in one of your pinkies than I will ever have.

But as I read this thread where a bunch of grown men are bellyaching about not being able to find bullheads, it dawned on me - You guys are a bunch of weirdos. laugh

My mother always said 'Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are.'

Weirdos or river rats, we all have a great time catching huge, hard fighting fish and love every minute of it. At times yes, there are some weird things on the river like monkeys in the boats and who knows what else.

Sometimes one can run into a Shackbash or a DTro, but thats ok as they don't bite hard.

Just be careful or the catfish bug will bite you and you will be posting here and catching flatheads and channels every day and one will forget about those bottom feeding walleyes.

Welcome, and remember, any river rat is a good river rat eben if they play with bullheads.

I had a little issue come up with collecting bullies, but should have that resolved by tonight. Other than that it has been no problem getting all I have needed this year(50+ some weeks). Check out any shallow lakes around your area.

In my humble opinion, big bullies are overrated. I got a 24lb flat on a 5" bullhead on Monday night. He took the bullie and kept on going in a long screaming clicker run. Don't get too picky on your bullheads size. I know everybody likes the larger size bullheads but those smaller bullheads work too. Downsize your hook size a bit and those smaller bullies will be doing the Hokey Pokey all night long.

My best bullhead spot kicks out about 10 small bullies for every 5" to 6" one but I save them all. The small ones become cut bait and I even use them for flats once in a while.

I have tried fishin the small ponds and outlets and notta bully to be had. glad that good ol cathy keeps a few gallons to purchase. I have been catchin chubz and they have only caught gar. as long as I'm catchin whats bitin I have a good time

I am lucky to have about 3 "hot" bullhead spots with in 15 minutes of my house and minutes of my work. Strange thing is, I prefer to have groups of people fishing these spots when I go down to get my bullies. I work the entire shore line of fisherman, fisher gals and fisherkids and have met some pretty nice people. I have yet to run into one person who refused to give me a bully they caught. When I get down to the spot, I introduce my intentions and when I see one pulled up, go over and take them off for them. This has been working so slick this year, I have yet had to seine for them. With in an half hour I can get a jammed packed 5 gal full. I even run into some of the same people from time to time. I guess this could be chalked up to meeting a Shackbash like Tom said grin.

Also like Steve D said, the smaller ones will work great also.

If you have your heart set on getting the mamabajamba bullies, I will let you in on an ancient Chinese secrete from Shack. Use your normal river rig set up, but tip it with a ¼” to a ½” square chunk of sucker. This keeps the small ones at bay and you will not believe how big of bullies linger around your bully holes.

Good luck

you will usually get some looks when people see you keeping small bullheads. if only they knew what they were used for. and it is not worth noting what "other" popular fish likes the 3-4 incers smile

I've been putting the hook through the tail area just before the caudal fin. There's plenty of tough flesh for the hook to stay put and they last quite a while. I'm curious about what others have to say...

Well I went to what is usually a guaranteed bullhead spot and all I caught were channels, dogfish and a couple of walleyes on my ultralight setup. It was fun but not exactly what I was looking for. wink

I probally have the same three spots that shackbash has along with a few secret spots. I have really never had that much problem getting bullys . is it just me or do you guys like that numbing feeling after reaching in the bully bucket.

I've been putting the hook through the tail area just before the caudal fin. There's plenty of tough flesh for the hook to stay put and they last quite a while. I'm curious about what others have to say...

Jim I was on a 'mall date' last night (Which involves the missus going shopping while I read at B&N without buying anything) and I found a cat fishing book - it suggested hooking bullies just as you described. In addition they recommended snipping a bit off the pectoral and dorsal fins to make them struggle more.

I just feel so lucky to live next to one of the premire bullhead lakes in the country....

2 passes with a seine net yeilded over 500 bullies a few weeks ago, almost all were 6-7 inches.

I'll give everyone a hint, it is a lake located near the town on Hanska....

I've never used a seine but the pond by my house has provided as many bullhead as I have wanted every time I have tried to get some. We don't have flatheads nearby so all sizes are acceptable and it's WI so no size or quantity limit. I do think the people who live right next door to the pond wonder if I am eating these bullhead since I keep coming back.