• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snap Weights for Muskie Trolling?

I was up in Duluth fishing for Salmon/Lake Trout and the guide was using downriggers and snap weights. The snap weights were 1lb balls with a Duolock snap clipped on to a loop tied into the line. Thinking about that I thought that might work to get some Muskie baits down deep. I was wondering if any of you have tried a snap weight setup, how you rigged it, and what weights did you try. I'm wanting to get down 25-40' and think that the snap weight kits for walleyes (clip on release and 1-3oz weights) would be a bit light for Muskie baits.

You may want to reconsider pullling baits at 25+FOW in the summer. We have been successful at it in the spring but once the water warmed we released a couple that weren't doing so well. Depending on the size of the bait you are pulling and the boyancy the size of the weight with varry greatly. An innexpensive way to use weights is to split ring them to the front of your trolling leader. You may want to get a copy of Muskie Mike's Trolling Secrets which has dive curves for many popular muskie baits. Drifter bought the rights and recently started reprinting. If you like to troll this book is a must have IMHO.