• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer herding trick

It's that time of year to start the scouting for the upcoming archery season. I was thinking of this early today and thought that I would post it to maybe help a few who have run into this fence issue.

A few years back I had an awesome bedding are to hunt and the deer would migrate to a alfalfa field towards evening. The problem at hand was the fact that these deer has a fence to jump and it was an open area for approx 100 yards. Where does one set up ? I decide to purchase some rope and tie a new line atop the other stands of barb wire to get the deer to funnel to the low spot in the fence. They did and this will work for you too.

Just a small tip for those areas with a fence and many spots for the deer to cross.

I've wired the top run of fence down to the 2nd or 3rd to create a low spot as well and have seen increased traffic to that spot. Make sure if not on your property that you make sure that messing with fence in any sort or manner is going to be ok with the landowner. They spend a lot of sweat equity in fencing and don't want it screwed up.

I also have a similar spot. stand placement has always been a problem( i'm usually wrong). so i cut a trail through the woods from the bedding area to the feeding area. the next season i saw alot more deer. the next year i improved the trail by clearing debris and then planting clover. i routed the trail through the thickest cover available so the deer would feel more secure and be more likely to use the trail. so far it has worked.