• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What does evryone think of the Mossberg 500 shotguns for slugs?

Christopher Quast

Personally, I'm not a Mossberg fan, I traded mine in on an 870. I just didn't like how it handled, it felt to big and clunky, kind of toyish. My gun also jammed alot and pumped very hard, espeically in the cold, even when it was kept clean and oiled. You can find used a 870 Express for $200 or under, I found mine for $175, it hasn't jammed on my yet, and will overlap slugs at 50 yds (scope with smoothbore barrel) not saying they are the best shotgun out there, but there is a reason they have sold so many of them. I will not buy another Mossberg.

I have owned and used a Mossberg 500 for about 20 years now and have never had a problem with it jamming or needed any repairs on it. I think it is a great inexpensive all purpose gun.

Of course everygun is different and some have troubles but what gun brand doesn't. I am sure you will get a wide variety or responses with this one just like you have right off the bat. It all boils down to personal preference adn hwo much you are willing to spend. Good Luck!!

I have had a Mossberg 500 for about13 years now. Love it. Great gun, never had a problem with it. Use it for both birds and slugs for deer. Did switch to an over under now for birds, but wouldn't hesistate to use it for whatever. great gun for the money. grin

I would have to say, I feel totally opposite from RiverRat. Then again I'm Mr Special.LOL!

I love my Mossberg 500 and it has performed flawlessly. I owned an 870 Express for yrs, and then sold it to a friend. Who still uses it today and loves the gun. Was it a good gun yes, but I was never really satisfied with it? I thought it was on the bulky side.

I bought the bird and rifled cantilever barrel combo. I’ve outfitted mine with a Knoxx stock, and a 1.5x4x32 Bushnell scope. I like the Over size bird barrel and Top Tang safety. Which my Browning BPS and Stoeger U/D also have. As a slug gun, it can arrival some rifles accuracy. I average 3” groups at 100yrds and had times where my shots have all touched. I shoot Hornady SST slugs. “see Hornady SST slugs post” I guess it really comes down to personal preference. But for the price, it’s a hard deal to beat.

Ihave both guns and for me its a toss up,go and check out both and see which one handles best for u,does it fit when u bring it up to shoot, and remember to allow for hunting clothes.If u shoot smothbore use the right slugs 50 -75 yrds seems to be dead on.I also have a mossberg 835 bolt,rifled barrel,nikon scope with sst slugs its a sniper set up for deer,but heavy,In my opinion the 870 is a better looking gun but for me i like em both.

I should be fair in my statements about Mossberg, I did own an 835, I have never acctually shot a 500, so my biased opinion could be way off. I think more of my problem was just shooting Remingtons (1100's) my whole life, it was a radical switch to the 835, safety location, not used to a pump gun, and differnt balance. Getting back to the Remington name smoothed the road some for me.

I had nothing but problems with my Mossberg, came close to chucking in the lake during duck season 10 years ago. bought a browning gold and the mossberg is now the back up for extreme emergencies only

The first gun I ever bought with my own money was a Mossberg 500, when I was in 6th grade (long time ago). It was an awesome gun, had many many years of abuse and service with only a minor problem with the firing pin. Shot my first grouse, duck, pheasant, deer etc. with that gun.