• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insurance $ after accident

Hope this is appropriate for this forum: My question is this I was involved in an accident yesterday where I was rear ended that caused a chain reaction, so I have front bumper/grill/hood damage along with rear bumper and lift gate damage.

Just to keep my paranoia in check, my vehicle is earlier than 2002 and an SUV with high miles. To me its cosmetic damage and don't care, but insurance wants me to get the estimate done so it can be fixed. So, when I get the estimate done, and minus the deductible, if they send me the check or me and the bodyshop as co-signers, can I just pocket the $ or what? Anyone know of "anyone" that has done this and no problem? As an FYI its payed off, so there is no loan on it.

As long as there isnt a lean on it, its yours to do what ever you wish! I would just have it mechanically checked over for bent suspension parts, leaking radiator, base engine, and other safety concerns, then if you can live with the cosmetic damage spend away!

Are they going to total the vehicle? If you just tell the insurance company that you arent going to fix it, that you just want the compensation from it, I dont see how they could turn you down?

I've never been in this type of situation before, my guess on the KBB value would be that it is worth maybe 3K, I don't know. Awhile back I looked at trading it in and was told 2K as a trade in, so I plan to drive it until it dies. I have no idea what body shop prices run, but I would think a new rear bumper, front bumper and hood are needed. The lift gate is smucked in pretty good too and doesn't open, so that would have to be replaced. I have no idea what that would run, estimate gets done this evening.

They total it, then give you a check then you tell them you want to buy it back from them, or tell them before hand and they deduct the money from your check. It sounds as though it may be totaled!

I'll bet they total it. Ask them how much they want for it and buy it back if VERY resonable (eg $ 400/$600).

If it's a Ford Explorer or GM Blazer/Jimmy you will get to keep it for very little money.

Just an update, but most you guys were right, since there wasn't a loan on the vehicle, adjuster came on site to view the damage, popped in the #s into a computer, got the total value of damage and gave me a check. Now I will be posting asking "how hard is it to replace a lift gate if I find one in a junkyard"

As for the lift gate, they are easy to replace, just the gate alignment is the tricky part. But if you install the new(used) one and bring it to a body shop they will align it for cheap!

The other thing is just removing without breaking plastic panels.