• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public Land

mrklean

I just moved to the Buffalo area, where can i find either websites or maps or something that will show me where public land is. Or anyone out there that can give me advice to finding some hunting land for a new resident. Thanks

The DNR HSOforum has maps showing the locations of WMAs. I'm not sure about WPA maps though.

Another option would be to locate a county plot map.

Bob

I think rand mcnally has a new map out that highlights all types of outdoor things pretty sure they cost thirty bucks find them at most sports retailers. its the one with the brown cover

WPAs (Waterfowl Production Areas) and WMAs (Wildlife Management Areas) may or may not be open to public hunting. Around here most are open. I believe it is common that WPAs are restricted to non-toxic shot but there too you need to find out. Usually, they are posted.

Bob

The best way I've found is buying the county plat map. Find those tax forfeited areas (if they exist in your area) that are landlocked. It's better to do in winter or spring then now, but contact the adjacent landowners and see if you can somehow get permission into those areas. I've had excellent luck this way. Just be a nice guy and be polite.

One other way is the sportsmans atlas/map. They sell them sporting goods stores and at Game Fair. They have all public land listed but there are only as relevant for a few years as some land changes hands. Generally they have WMA's, WPA's, Refuges, etc but the county and tax forfeited land isn't usually on them. That would come from PRIM maps and plat books. I think you can order both of those from the Minnesota State Bookstore or go to the office in St Paul.